Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Track days

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by norafugengixer, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Hi all
    I'm keen on doing a few track days. Just have no idea on how to get involved. Do i have to be part of a club.
    I would like to try Broadford, Sandown and Winton.

2. nah mate,
    u just pay them your $$ on the day & track that suits u.
    read AMCN, they all advertise there.
  3. As above, Champions run days at Winton and Broadford, and you don't need to be a member of a club.

My advice - get into trackdays ASAP. Best fun ever.
  4. Track Days are a bit Gay, compared to real Racing. Once you get the hang of it, test your skills in Competition.
  5. I would think Track Days is good for you to get more confidence in leaning the bike over while hanging off the side, braking, lines etc...I reckon one or 2 track days should have you set for racing with a bit more confidence then going straight into it...but that's just me.

phong =P~
  6. 4 words; phillip island ride days

7. That's the dumbest thing I have ever read!

Not everyone wants to race other people. Some just like going fast around a track. I raced pushies for 15yrs, and have no interest right now in getting back into a competitive environment. But I love my track days, I love riding the bike to my limits.

I have nothing to prove to anyone about my skills, no need to go racing to find out I'm faster than someone, and slower than many!
  8. I think that was a bit of sarcasm in MVrog's post, I reckon you need to do at least half a dozen track days before you start racing, assuming your only experience is road riding. Probably more like 1-2 years of track riding before you start racing, but I'm sure there are exceptions.

But back to the OP, just book through a ride day operator and turn up, best fun you can have with your pants on. :cool:
  9. I'll +1 MVrog even if he was being sarcastic.

I did track days for way too long.
  10. I'll +2 Rog.

Understand track days are good for confidence but you actually waste your time doing track days. I started racing with only having done 1 practice day and it was the best way to go. You are riding with fast guys so you learn real quick from them.
    Unless you don't want to be competitive then yeah, stick to track days they're great :wink:
  11. +3 for Rog. Racing is heaps more fun. :cool:
  12. +1 for track days, rather than race days for me. Not that interested in the racing aspect. That may change, but for the moment I just love the track days :)
  13. + 4 for Rog.

Hey Triway, it's not that track days are bad, I still do them to keep the devils away if there's too much down time between races. But I found that at first I was leaps and bounds improving doing track days and then I just plateaued out and the days became very routine. And you still have the same level of accident/injury risk that racing has.

At club level, even a mug racer like me can get the adrenalin rush and faster riders drag you along. No one is paying me to set track records, it's enough to have someone close enough for a dice. It's also negligbly more expensive.

But for the OP, track days are an easier way to get started, just going out to race as a track virgin like the good old days is a bit harsh.

Good luck!

14. Cheers fellas thankyou for your help.
    Hope to see you out there
  15. Triway, you have been outvoted.
  16. By the four guys on here who do race! :LOL:

My guess is there are far more guys who enjoy track days than there are who want to race.
  17. Lol Triway, there might be something in that. Perhaps they would change their tune if they had a go.
  18. I'm sure they would Devo. ;)
    We had a group ride day with Champions and my bet is there will be a few more motards in the Thunderbike class at Winton on Anzac weekend with Hartwell and possibly more at the Interclubs too.
  19. The other plus for track days is that there are in excess of 70 track days a year in Victoria alone. Compare this to how many race days?

I'm on the track probably 5 times (or more) more often than someone who only races. :p