Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National Track Days? Why not race?

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by Kobo, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Please don't attack me here as I am just trying to understand why people would elect to do track days instead of racing. What I have found out is that people do anywhere from 5 to 20 track days a year and, even going to cheaper tracks, this is big dollars - So why not race?
    I mean the costs appear to be similar especially as people have dedicated track day bikes that in some cases are dearer than racebikes. Gear requirements are the same and you usually trailer your bike to the circuit. What are your thoughts?

Kobo :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  2. maybe because you can have more track days than race meeting days?

and costs really depend on how seriously you take it, same as in racing; more serious, more expensive
  3. Racing = bigger adrenaline rush, closer to the edge riding, bigger costs, higher per lap track time cost......

Track days = more actual track time in a day ( especially true for weekdays ) ie. lower per lap track time cost...

BTW, 1 x trackday is usually cheaper than 1 x 3 pointer fine
  4. Firstly, Kobo, I certainly wouldn't want to attack you, but there are lots of folk who see things differently from you, or I, and that doesn't make their approach wrong.

Personally, I don't have a track bike, or trailer, I ride my bike to the track, round the track a few times and then ride home.

I typically do a track day when I get a new bike, since a track day is ideal for learning the bike's capabilities.

Occasionally, I'll do a track day just for fun.

Maybe I lack the competitive spirit but going racing doesn't really appeal to me.

I haven't been to any recent bike race meetings, but, back in the mists of antiquity, typical riders at a C and D grade meeting at Amaroo or Oran Park got considerably less track time than they'd get at a track day, with more official folderols thrown in.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Exactly!!
  6. For those on road registered bikes, there's a financial commitment to a dedicated trackie that is obviously a bar to doing any racing.

But I agree that this is the really confusing one. Track days are not cheaper, nor a guarantee of more track time, nor safer. And track days are more controlling in a kindergarten type way.

I still do them to keep the devils away but I don't perceive them as either better value for money or safer.
  7. If you went racing, wouldn't you have to travel a lot to all diferent tracks if you competed in a series?
    With track days I could just go to tracks closer to where I lived.
    I've done neither, but am interested in both, I just think it might be harder to go to each round of a race series, time commitment, travel, need to have the bike ready each race day, etc.
  8. TBH, I thought racing isnt an option unless I am hitting Fast group every time I go to track. I am still doing slow-med but I am sure I am nowhere near fast times yet...
  9. Racing is a little bit more expensive than track days. One would be race license compared to recreational license, a Senior Club Race license is currently $255/year...or $290 for a national race license (interstate racing), a recreation license costs $100/year for all states. Then there are tyres...this obviously will depend on your budget, but if you want to be competitive, you got to buy some decent rubber. Slicks tend to be more expensive than semi slicks/road tyres. EDIT: Add to that $50-70/year for club membership to be eligible to race.

Assuming your track day set up is similar to a racing set up, you will get more track time from track days than a racing event, however racing is fun when you hustle and tussle for position...so if you are more competitive, I'd say for the extra $200-250 it is well worth it. I find it fun trying to chase people down, although I am super slow rider in comparison to front runners!
  10. My memory from those times was of entering my 125 in the 250 class as well, which was allowed then if you could run in their lap times, and so I would get heaps of track time. Also in those bygone days places like Oran and Amaroo would let you do 'private practice' during the week. You just turn up, pay your ten bucks and get out on the track for basically as long as you wanted. I am just about to start racing again and my first meet I get 4 heats and a final and plenty of practice time. But I'll let you know if I was satisfied with it and that's why I'm getting a one day licence to start with. Thanks for your replies tho...Quite interesting,

Kobo :cool:
  11. VERY interesting; you raced a 125 at Oran Park and Amaroo??

Yes, you could race a 125 in the 250 class, and a 250 in 350 and Unlimited, if you we're quick enough. Wayne Gardner's first race meeting saw him on a 250 on which he 'rode the programme' until he fell off in the last race trying to beat Gary Sutton.

And private practice days were great, for both the riders and the 'hangers-on', like me. I remember listening to Jack Ahern giving much sage advice to Ron Boulden on several of those days...
  12. Kobo, I wish you all the best with your return to racing.

I was thinking about the question you posed originally, and realise that I now really regret not having kept my Yammie 125 and 250 two-strokes, as they, now, would have given me the opportunity to ride on the road occasionally, with Historic plates, and a chance of running at the back of the field in Historic Race meetings, too.
  13. OTOH, a wet windy winter day down at Oran Park with not another soul in sight, could be very depressing!
  14. They were both bleak holes on cold winter days...
  15. What does a racing licence cost?
  16. You might want to go fast on a bike which is either not eligible or not competitive in any racing class running at your local circuit(s).
  17. You need the Competitor Licence Application and the Senior National Licence is the most common although there are other options. Also there is the theory test link and they are all from here.

For club membership one option is here.
  18. According to Motorcycling Victoria:

$255/year for Seniors Club Race License
    $290/year for Seniors National Race License

Senior is anyone above 16 years of age.

To get a license you also need to be a financial supporter of a motorcycle club, such as Preston, St.George, Sandringham etc.
  19. Lack of time, money, commitment, trailer (in that order).
  20. Yep I just went through the process of joining St George and applying for a Senior National MA license.

I've been wanting to get into racing but the whole process is pretty daunting, there's very little info out there and all the related sites are really bad etc. it feels like you've gotta jump through hoops to get into it. I think that's what deters alot of people..

I've got it all worked out now but would've done it years ago if the process was clearer and simpler.