Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Track Day tyre wear

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by pringa8, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Hey guys, haven't done a track day before, do they massively wear the tyres like they do on track days for cars? You can see the worms peeling off with the cage, just wondering if it does the same, or worse given the softer compound?

2. Depends on how you ride, but yeah tyres get worn pretty bad. Even on my 250, rubber worms were peeling off the end.
  3. Entirely dependent on how you ride. If you pot around in the slow group at the same pace you would of the road then your not going to see any difference to your regular Sunday run through the twisties. However, your at the track, so your not likely to be putting around. The more your confidence and lean angles grow the greater the stress on your tyres.

There are a few ways to improve tyre wear.

1) Lose weight. From either your gut or the bike. Yep, not the quickest or easiest solution, and sometimes not an option. But the less weight on the bike the less force the tyre has pushing on it.

2) Suspension setup. Worn, soft road going suspension will greatly increase tyre wear. Get your suspension reconditioned if it's not in top nick already.

3) Be smooth with the throttle. Most tyre wear occurs between 1-2 inches from the edge of your tyre. This is where your standing the bike up out of corners and starting to get back on the gas. The harder you twist the most stress on the tyre. So more wear. I would go through tyres on my old 250 that had 70% tread left in the middle and 0% tread left where I would start to get back on the throttle.

4) Tyre pressures. For your first track day set your pressures to your normal road riding setting. Then as you grow in confidence and pace slowly lower them after each session. 28 - 30 PSI COLD is a reasonable track pressure, remembering that depending on track temp your HOT vs COLD tyre temp can vary greatly. However before dropping tyre pressures drastically you need to do your research on the tyre and type of bike you are riding. But as a general rule for sports bikes 30PSI COLD is a good starting point.

5) Heat cycles. Heating up and cooling down is not really good for tyre life. Take the first few laps of each session gently, then gradually increase your speed through the session. If you can estimate when the end of the session will be called, do a warm down lap. You'll see the more regular track day punters running tyre warmers to avoid this problem. But if you don't have tyre warmers (only regulars will) then park your bike in the sun. So your tyres have a better chance of retaining heat.

There are few tips. Hope they help.
  4. As Mike said, it depends how you ride. Suspension and tyre pressures are also major factors - if you are reasonably quick and one of these is wrong you can destroy a tyre in half a day or less.
  5. If you're half nuts, you'll go through a full tourer rear in a day.

If you've sport tourers you'll go through 1/2 a rear.

Don't worry too much, the fun of the day will exceed the cost of tyre replacement.......I hope (y)
  6. Even cruising around in slow group will shred your tyres a fair bit (at least on a big bike), especially if its a warm day. Before I had my suspension setup it looked like a tiger had used the rear as a scratching post, now its more even but still balls up like crazy.
  7. Thanks guys, yep seems like you have to factor in at least half a set of tyres per track day then. Cheers. Surprised about the psi as well, good to know. Cheers.
  8. Dunno about wear, but the ol' K100 managed to frazzle a decent front Mich and an awful, cast-iron Duro rear all the way to the edges when I did our local Racecraft course on it :demon:.