Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Track day stats

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by the_blacke, May 26, 2010.

1. Anyone know where I might be able to get some details on track day stats? I'm after as much info as I can get, but specifically:

Number of bikes at the track day
    Number of bikes damaged

Anything else, such as rider demographics etc, would be a bonus.

Is this something that someone like Preston Motorcycle Club may have (for the track days they organise)?

2. What would you do with said info?
  3. I imagine it is part of a nefarious plan for world domination.

Or maybe something to do with supporting the argument that bike insurers should cover our bikes on track days.

One of those, anyway.
  4. I'll give it a bash...riders of all ages, shapes and sizes, crash their bikes at ride days with an average frequency approaching that of Netrider group rides organised on Sundays with wet roads.
  5. If it is to approach insurers, fat chance. If there was money to be made in it they'd be all over it like a rash.
  6. If you cant afford to crash it, dont ride it. Simple as that.
  7. I know that's the way it is right now, but I believe that most riders would become better riders if they had access to a controlled, lower risk environment in which to practice their skills. I know that I'd like to get back down to Broadford to work on my cornering without the dangers of oncoming traffic, sheer drops and cliff faces and the like.

Anyone who has an opinion on the question of getting some sort of insurance cover for track days, please speak up. I've thrown together a short survey to gather some of the data that I think I need. If you've got 5 minutes I'd love folks here to fill it in. Thanks.
  8. I wish you well, but I won't hold my breath.

A few years ago I was involved with an insurance scheme for car clubs who were holding non-racing but timed track day competition. It was an abject failure. A majority of participants drive exactly as before, but about a third started to drive like it was a World Championship. I know of one individual who crashed four times in six events (had never crashed in the previous five years). The scheme went belly up in no time.

Bikes might be a little better (more chance of personal injury), but probably not much
  9. No don't hold your breath by any means. At the end of the day, the kind of people / companies with the money to run something like this want to make more money, so a high risk venture isn't very attractive.

But I think that there are angles that can at least be explored.
  10. Ah yes, but isn't rider training covered by many insurers?

I'm playing devils advocate, being in a bit of a position to have a peek inside the motorcycle insurance area, but I really really really don't fancy your chances at getting it done. The rate of claims for road use is high enough, without taking track use into account.

That being said, props to you for seeing something you disagree with and having the balls to go and try and do something about it. I don't fancy your chances, but the world would be better with more attitudes like yours.
  11. Yeah it's a challenge. I want to say "we shouldn't have to do a stay upright course just to be able to practice on a track". But I reckon that is what it's gonna come down to for the insurance conscious.
  12. When I'm not crashing my bike on a race track, I help out waving a flag when other people crash, or man the pick-up vehicle to go and pick up crashed bikes. There are good days and bad days, but I don't need comprehensive stats to tell me that IF Ins. Co's wanted to insure these things, premiums would be prohibitive.
  13. Thanks all who have filled in the survey, I'd love to get more responses too so if you haven't already filled it in, please do!

devo you may well be right, but it will all come down to the probabilities and the types of riders who'd be interested.

I for one would be unlikely to do a track day at the moment as I only have one bike, and I need it for getting to work and can't afford to replace it if I write it off. However, I could probably find $1,000 a year for track day insurance, and wouldn't consider that prohibitive... if that meant I could replace my $12K bike and $3K gear if something went pair-shaped.

I think one of the biggest concerns is whether it would encourage people to ride more recklessly. If the insured goes out onto the track with the insurance as a "last resort / safety net" then I think that the risk might be acceptable. But if it becomes a license to go nuts then yeah it would go broke very quickly.
  14. And therein lies the problem with insuring trackdays, if you want to replace your gear and bike after a crash. Most people can only afford to keep coming back because they repair their fibreglass, give it a rattle can paint job, a throw on their leathers which have been down the road a few times.

I'll butt out and let you gather your data. But honestly, there's better ways to do the track thing. Ride like you don't have insurance, and hope no one else cleans you up. Or go get a track bike for as little as $2k and ride the thing.
  15. Yep cheap track bike is your answer.
  16. +1.

What's your insurance excess going to be? $600? $800? Not far away from just paying for a trackbike.

THEN you'll learn to ride!
  17. My worry with a track bike is that if I'm going as fast as I can, I want to have the best machine under me I can afford, with the best brakes and the best handling. If I get a cheap bike it seems odd that I'd then subject it to riskier riding than my road bike which has good suspension and good brakes.
  18. Todays cheap track bike was yesterdays state of the art.

Many road racers started on pocket bikes with no brakes and dodgy chinese tyres. Others started on lightly modified dirt bikes tearing around ovals. Some did the 250 proddy thing. No need to get precious about it.
  19. It's not a question of being precious. I'm still pretty new to riding, so I take comfort in having the largest safety margin possible. If I'm going to risk my neck riding right at my limit, why do it on dodgy equipment? I'm old enough that broken bones stay broken for a while, so I want to avoid that outcome if possible. Racing on a crappy bike doesn't fit in with my preferred risk profile. You say precious, I say calculating. Po-tay-to, po-tah-to.
  20. "Racing on a crappy bike doesn't fit in with my preferred risk profile"

The risk is only as big as the lack of maintainence of said track bike allows...

Honestly, if you own a track bike that you use regularly then you also have to maintain it to a safe acceptable level in order to be able to use it.