Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Track day insurance

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by Janosh, May 21, 2007.

1. I'm doing some track days in the next few months and would prefer to have insurance.... so who does it???

2. Good luck with that. You can pay for it with the gold you find at the end of the rainbow! :wink:

(Sorry dude. Doesn't exist. The best you can do is cover yourself for personal injury.)
  3. It will cost you the same as your bike is worth and that's if you find someone to insure you.

Just go and be prepared for the worst, if you can't afford to fix your bike I would suggest you leave it home.

The other option is to hire a GSXR600 at the PI track, which is $299 + up to $3,000 excess should you drop the bike.
  4. Crash proof your bike as much as possible. Invest in some bar sliders, axle sliders, oggy knobs etc. If worst comes to worst gather the pieces up after you bin it and toss it off the side of the road up the Spur.
  5. think that might be a bit hard when all crashes are recorded down on paper for this exact purpose
  6. a) they're not
    b) if you're going to risk a criminal record you wouldnt do it defrauding an insurance company for the value of a GS250.
    c) got humour detector?

Carry on. :wink:
  7. Could this be why a lot of people run without reg plates? :)
  8. Which will make no difference at all.

Consider this. You have a stack and make a claim. If it's a stack big enough to total your bike, they'd expect to see a police report and maybe some ambulance claim. If you can't provide this, this will instantly arouse suspicion if nothing else. Simple checks by your insurer may then reveal that there was a track day on or around the time of your claim. If the claim is large enough it would worth their while to check further as to whether you attended. Although privacy rules apply, I really don't doubt the tenacity of insurers to check this stuff. Simply, they don't want to start a precedent for claims, so it's in their interest to make sure they check these things.

Also bear in mind that if you make a fraudulent claim, this is a criminal offence. It will make obtaining further insurance of any type hard if not impossible.

Simple answer is, if you can't afford to smash it, either don't ride it or use a hire bike and think of the excess as the cheapest accident you're likely to have.
  9. They do get all the details of all bikes that are involved in an accident if they can't continue riding it on the track from the off, the plate on the frame has lots of details, so Vin etc would be recorded, so I would say that if you want to do a dodgy be real careful.
  10. This is news to me....

Who is "they"? Insurance representatives at each and every track day? MA? Club officials?

Never seen any bike details taken, never had my bike details taken after an off.

But still, I wouldnt do it and wouldnt recommend it.

I still maintain that crash proofing, and as you say, not riding unless you can afford to crash it, is the best policy.
  11. 'They' are the track day organisers. At every accident that I have, they have taken full details and even statements. As much for their own liability as anything else, but it wouldn't surprise me if somewhere in their T&C's there is a clause saying they can pass on your details to other companies (in this case an insurance company).
  12. To give you an idea, last week at a track day at Phillip Island, Stew came off and we went to get his bike of which they wouldn't let us take it until they got all the details of the bike. That's seems to be common practice at PI, as I have witnessed this before.

As cejay said, I am guessing they need it for thier own indemity reasons, however I would not be suprised if this information is passed on.
  13. 'Trackday Insurance' - oxymoron
  14. Interesting story. Not letting you take your own bike? I'd be inclined to tell them to get rooted.

But anyway, that's nothing like any of my crashes or the ones I have seen. Must be a track to track thing.
  15. Stew was on his way to the hospital. Steve and the crew were taking Stew's bike back for him. At PI they take all the details of the person, the bike, the accident and any witnesses. This is then used to compile a report, as much for their own sake as the persons.

Either way, as was mentioned earlier, trying to defraud an insurance company might sound like a great idea but is a good way to end up in a whole lot more pain than you were already in. They and banks will chase down debts to send a general message.
  16. The ride day organisers would have to be sure to inform riders that their bikes are not in a state to ride home to cover themselves also, even in the case of a minor off I would reckon. Another reason they would want to get details of any accidents that occur during their track day.
  17. :? :roll:

So if I can't afford to crash my bike, "crash proofing it" will avoid all damage that can be done on a track day? How do I stop forks from bending? How do I stop frames from cracking? "crash proofing" is a myth, otherwise we would all crash proof our bikes and never break them. You may be able to reduce 'some' damage by removing indicators/mirrors etc, but what good are shiny new mirrors if you've got forks bent?

As Cejay said, if you can't afford to be without your bike, don't go!
  18. Wow - I asked as I'm from the UK where I used to track my car regularly and getting insurance was no problem - I only assumed the same would be possible for bikes over here :oops:

Either way, I'm going to the track and can't wait :twisted:
  19. You will note (after properly reading the very text you quoted), that I said "and" not "or".

I appreciate the roll of the eyes. It is one of the few smilies I cant help but take literally.