Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

track day gear - what do you need?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by bondibadger, Aug 14, 2011.

1. over the next year, i'm going to want to take my SXV 450 to the track for some hopefully, sideways hooning.

What gear am I going to require. Can anyone make any suggestions for good gear at good prices?

I've seen various products around but not sure what i need to spend. i can imagine spending 2 grand on track suit and boots would be rather easy task.

what do you wear for the odd track day?

2. You'll need leather pants and a jacket that zips together (or a one piece suit).
    Plus proper boots and proper gloves. And a helmet.

3. leathers, helmet, long gloves, back protector and boots.

boots on a motard depend on your riding style. knee down guys mostly use roadbike boots but foot out style means specific supermoto boots are the go. because otherwise after a couple of sessions you have ****ed a good pair of boots.

4. And a good rag to wipe up the oil when the donk blows ha ha
    Sorry, just an awesome bike and a hoot on the track. I loved riding them, hated selling them.
    Quite a few tracks rent shoite if you want to just go out and try. A bit smelly but cheaper than buying the whole kit.

5. as you have time you can look around and wait for sales. I got joe rocket one piece for under $500. (a perforated suit cause it gets hot on the track). same for boots.

6. which track are you riding on, a go kart track or a road race track?

7. <JK>
    BallsOfSteel. 45479d1238078142-motivational-poster-lets-have-some-fun-rossi_poster.
    </JK>

When you book, there will be information about what the organisers expect at their days on the website.
    Different crowds expect different things. Champions Ride Days don't require a back protector. Motorcycle Sportsman's do.
    When you fill out the forms and sign them, you will be shown again.
    They'll likely give you some reading material for preparation, which will also include the list.
    If you get to scrutineering and something's not right, they will talk about throwing you out and keeping your money, but if you're nice to people they will most likely bend over backwards to beg / borrow / steal stuff for you for the day.
    Some inspector people are a whole lot more anal about things than others. It's a good idea to have brake-pads that are less than half worn, tyres that are less than half worn, a chain that's both lubed and correctly adjusted, brakes that don't come back to the bar, a throttle that closes itself when you let it go, a steering head that doesn't have any visible or audible play, suspension that goes up and down without making silly noises, cables and tubing that don't foul anything between full lock L & R, plugs or bar end weights, the balls still on the end of the clutch and brake levers (Shorty levers are OK - stock levers that are broken or cut off are not ok), bars and pegs that seem to be firmly bolted on and not cracked or bent or crooked ... Some blokes will knock you back if the engine looks a bit oily - others will look inside the fairing and see whether there's any actually dripping out ... We all look for the same kinds of things but some are a lot more fussy than others.
    Many track days offer a rental service for leathers and what-not. And bikes. The rates are not too bad, as long is you don't crash. Their repair bill if you do may be a bit higher than you expect, and the security deposit may make your eyes water.

Everybody wants you to have a good time and not break anything, so you'll come back and do it again. The organisers, the other riders, us ... you'll probably want to as well. It is about as much fun as you can have.

Take food and drink. Read up on the sort of tucker you should eat before a football game or a fun-run or some other endurance type event. Eat some the nigh before, take more with you and feed your face through the day. You'll burn heaps more energy than you think. Take sports energy drinks, GatorAid or similar. Lots of them. And a couple of litres of ordinary water as well. Keep drinking water and sports drinks until your back teeth float. Unless it's real cold, undo your top half and get your upper body out of the leathers as soon as you can. Many people take them right off and wear shorts and a T-shirt, Trackies or pink fluffy dressing gowns in winter. If you start to get a headache about lunch time, that's usually a sign you're dehydrated. Dehydrated people faint or have little vague moments and crash. I've seen $60,000 MV Augustas written off because some project manager or accountant was too manly to have another drink of water. Perhaps it seemed more important to wipe the brake dust and rubber and chain oil off the rims so they looked nice.

Priorities - don't get fixated on details and lose sight of the big picture. Track days - speed you're not accustomed to - have a way of creating tunnel vision, and that doesn't just apply when you're on the track. Stay focussed, but stay focussed on the wide angle view. Would you like it if some stranger walked into your pit and started helping himself to your stuff while you were on track? So, do you know who belongs in the pits immediately around you, what they look like and what they're wearing? Would you notice if somebody else wandered in and started opening tool boxes and sniffing around? I'm not saying that happens a lot - I'm saying are you switched on and on the ball?

Be nice to people. 99% of the time they'll be nice back to you. Perhaps the guy you just insulted is the only person at the track with the left handed screw driver you're about to need. People have a way of remembering who pissed them off.

[edit] Now look what you've done - you've got me started.

On track. As a beginner, follow the group around for the warm-up lap(s) and get an idea where the track goes. As a general rule, once you get let off the leash, start your braking a fraction earlier than you think you need to, very gently for a second, so your brake lights come on. Begin your corner with a metre or so of spare room on the outside. Miss your apex by a metre or so in the middle, and make your exit with a metre or so left spare. That's room for error - yours and other people's.

You don't learn much (initially) from people who are ten times better than you, because they're gone in a couple of seconds. You learn from people who are about as good as you or 2% better, because you can hook in behind and watch, see what they do better than you and what they do worse. Learn from their failures as well as their successes. Never follow blindly. Never trust somebody who's only 2% better than you are, about what the right line is, or what a safe speed for this corner is, or (especially) where the braking marker is. Never use another rider as your braking marker, because he can fuck up too. I took a very interesting trip through the gravel trap on somebody else's very expensive bike because I made that mistake. I didn't drop it, but it was real close.

Don't forget to breath. I'm serious - don't forget to breathe and then have to take a few great gasps because you're about to pass out. If the world goes black - that's bad. If you completely fog up your visor because you're panting - that's bad too. Take big, long, slow controlled breaths, like a scuba diver. In through the nose, out through the mouth, and blow the wet air down and away.

And that's enough grandfatherly kneedragon advice for one post.

• Like Like x 2
  8. When I did Stayupright Intermediate at EC, I had to keep reminding myself to breathe.
    I ended up doing a running commentary so that I was beathing and fully switched on.