Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Track day casual observer

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by jphanna, Apr 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. well i witnessed my first track day yesterday at Mallala raceway in north of Adelaide. lots of interesting observations.

1. the amount of riders there. full house in all 3 groups. (fast , faster, fastest....)
    2. the amount of people with tyre warmers being used
    3. comradery amongst all riders
    4. the few bikes that went down didnt explode in huge fireball like you see on TV.....

the forecast was 45kph winds but i know enough about weather, to know there was a gusts that felt up to 80kph. i could barely stand stand in one spot on top of grandstand it was that strong. i was wondering what it was like on the track and asked one the older riders. he said 'i didnt notice any wind out there'. i certainly would want to be on any bike in those conditions.

The first session with the big guns, a few bolted out of the blocks and went absolutely flat out asap. lots of others took a while to dial in and hammer it. many didnt hammer it in first session. you really noticed the difference in second session when most were hammering it and the lean angles lowered dramatically as the speeds seemed a lot higher in this session. i didnt have access to lap times so i couldnt measure the improvement, but visably....a lot faster in corners.

i was there to watch my son, but i met a few people that i knew. it was really fun to see and was good to hear those bikes at full noise. was only there till midday and only potential mechanical failure was one bike had fair bit of smoke coming out of exhaust (NOT a 2 stroke) as he idled back to pits. it didnt sound to good either.

i heard about track days from a guy at work, and mbike clubs i am in. it makes sense for those with sport bikes that have the skills to ride them fast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.