Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Track Bike

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by corrupt_tiki, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Hi all.

I still haven't bought my first roadie yet.

However I want to start road racing out at mallala.

And I was wondering what bike would you suggest for, some road use, and a bit of road racing.

I was thinking of an older GSX-750/600-R - set up for the track, derestricted, racing pipes, race tuned, taller gears, race suspension, if I can afford it a port and polishing job etc.

Price range for the bike is about 5k (+- 1k depending on the cond etc)
    Any other suggestions?

2. Go to the auctions for wrecked bikes

Whoa, hold up. Road and track use combined can pose a few problems.

A lot of mods you do to track bikes are not legal on the road. It'll be a pain to switch over everytime, especially for things like an exhaust.

The other thing is insurance. No-one will insure your $5k track bike. If you bin, it's gone. You have to be prepared to say goodbye to it in a heartbeat.

You can do road and track, but it's much better to have a dedicated track bike that you can do whatever you want to. It'll also be cheaper because you can buy a bike you could never road register for a reasonable cost, that will go perfectly on the track.
  3. http://nswroadandtrackbikes.com/forums/cmps_index.php

Check it out.

Also, a friend is selling his gixxer 750 for 4k, fairings are there but not painted. Trailer it there and save yourself on rego! Then when you want you can register it and have a nice roadbike :)