Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Track bike

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by Booth, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Suggestions?

So im looking at making a move into track days, and keen to get my own bike to do so. I currently own my baby.

Now while being an enjoyable ride, and probably realistically, being a pretty good and fun first track bike. I dont really want to take my baby to the track, im intending on having her for many years to come(its my first bike im planning on keeping it) and ontop of that, dropping it strikes me as an expensive process, emotionally, and fiscally.

So im looking for a track bike. Im looking for something not overly expensive(round 7-10k budget...but the cheaper the better)

Basically, i want to have a decent bit of performance...something comfortable for a bigger rider, 6'1 110kg. Sport orientated. And i dont want to have the guilt of dropping my "real" bike. So suggest away. Alot of people have suggested r6, cbr600rr and the suzuki gsx600?

But there relatively expensive. So can someone give me some pointers etc?
  2. i have a track bike i might sell. it was the 1st bike i ever bought new. was a road bike until last year.
    2001 gsxr600
    2 sets of race glass
    carbon muffler
    braided lines
    A.S.R suspension internals (f+r)
    new 520 chain and all sprockets
    plus more

p.m me if interested
  3. I'm thinkin of doing the same thing
    Dont want to come off the 12 but hmm a 600 i think i could be quite happy falling down the road and watching it go bye
    maybe a repairable write off might be the go
  4. i recomend getting a 400.... theirs heaps of people racing them now and they are pretty much the entry class for amatuer racing...

heaps of bikes around, heaps of spares and heaps of info on them...

you can set them up to be quick and great performance. U will learn more on one of these bikes than buyin a supersport or superbike
  5. And given all that, thay are still way over priced!

:? :? :? How do you figure? I don't get how I could learn more on a 400 than a 600?
  6. lots of people racing them, so more demand.... makes higher price for bike... its like anything. 30g for a ducati is way over priced as their really isnt anything better on it....

its like anything in life... learn on something easier and u can learn to ride it harder and to its max. Jump straight on a bigger bike for a track bike and theirs more power than you can use, so you get lazy.

Take timing at pi for instance,

if u can crack 2 minutes on ride days and you arnt a race people consider you a good rider.... if your doing that on a 1000cc u rekon u gonna be able to do it on a 400?

So imagine if u can crack sub 1.50's on a 400? You have learnt to ride that bike pretty much to its limits, you have learnt to brake deeper... later.. into the corner. Your corner speeds are higher, u are getting on the power earlier.... you are doing everything possible to get that bike tracking as fast as possible....

Now jump on a bigger bike and you already have all the basic skills tuned to a fine degree.. Now you can crack sub 1.50's without the extra power, better suspension and less weight... You aint gonna be lazy with the bike to do it... Your gonna use what extra that bike has, most people that go straight to the bigger bike take a long long long long time to get to it.
  7. and heres another point,,

if the best way to do it was to ride the bigger bikes, then why is their 125cc and 250cc gp classes, wheere the best young riders go to race?
    This is where most the good riders come from....

Then you take the rest of them that are good and they have all come from dirt tracking backgrounds.... Exact same thing as learning on a smaller bike... They have got bike control skillz down pat and use dem skillz on them bigger bikes yo!
  8. If you buy yourself an SV650S you can enter the new Twinsprints class if you fancy doing some racing after you finish with the track days. Not only are they cheap but also good fun and beginner friendly :grin:
  9. Go something smaller. They're cheaper to run, cheaper to fix, heaps of fun. Two strokes are great on the track, even if they're hard work on the road, and you'll possibly learn more about your riding on a smaller bike.

I clocked 1.58 around Eastern Creek on my roadie GSXR1000. Nothing impressive there, and I was constantly concious of throwing it away.

I clocked 1.59 on a stock Cagiva Mito 125. Still not 125GP standard, but I was pushing to the Nth degree of my capability.

If you're contemplating getting into racing, where are you?

Victoria runs a class called "Clubsport" Standard 250cc fourstrokes and 150cc twostrokes. Check their website/forum for contacts and details.

the PCRA in NSW runs everything from Buckets to NE2, which means any bike made before 11/95 is eligible. There are a lot of CBR600's ZXR750's etc, and you can get one for under $5K.

Even if you're not looking to get into racing, hanging around the pits, and talking to some people might help you get your track bike easier.

Good Luck.

p.s. I'm only slightly smaller than you, at 6'1, 95KGs
  10. thanks alot for the info fellas, ive decided that im going to hunt around for a yamaha r6, or cbr 600 rr. Round about 2002-2003 models, i imagine i can pick one of those up for around the 5-10 range. The gsxr600's interest me also. Im still kinda open though...im not shutting anything out. There is alot of good advice coming my way here. I spose my intentions are to do a couple of track days and see where im at skill wise, and work my way around and eventually start racing.

The 400's are an interesting buy, but i think the 600's give me more options. And are better suited to my size than say a 400. There also isnt a significant enough price difference when it comes to buying them either. So the bigger bike makes a bit more sence. This is a bit of a long term project, im popping out the feelers at the moment, im not sure if ill buy it now, or later, but im looking to get a track bike within the next 3 months.

Im thinking about going to one of those superbike schools, to learn proper technique etc? is this a good idea? ive heard there is private coaching etc, i think this would be more beneficial. Any advice?
  11. Start going to the auctions to see what's there, two months ago I saw a '05 ZX6 go for $3600 with carbon pipe and a power commander. All it needed was fairings, everything else was intact.
  12. About the only thing the 400's don't teach you is throttle control. That is until you get them on the limit of their grip (which is a not an easy task).
    The 400 class is fast becoming one of the more competitive classe's. It's not that the riders are much faster in that class than others, but that there ARE so many fast guys who have a chance of winning. Most races have around 10 guys who could win it.
    Having said that, they are bloody good fun, and no matter where you are in the pack, you always have a good race. Once you're set up (which cost a bit the same as any class), it is a cheap way of racing.
    You'll probably go through three tyres a year. One front and maybe two rears at most. I could do that in a day on the 600.
    Like all bikes, if you start chasing HP, it's going to burn money. A good 600 exhaust costs over 2500 and you get 6-10 hp with the PC3 etc. Then theres cams, ecu's, generators, etc. It cost me 25K to build my 600. The 400 is nowhere near that despite having to replace nearly every part in both worn out engines.
    The 400 can be seen as a bit of a lottery. Maybe you get a good one or maybe you don't. If you have power figures in the ball park you have a chance to win. And most bikes I've seen are pretty good and pretty close to each other. Even randomly picked wreckers engines seem to produce good power (Don't ask how I got landed with two lemons???)

With the 600's, you need power, as much as you can get. You need new tyres again and again. The balance between rider ability and money is a lot closer.
    With the 400's, a good rider will go pretty well on any old POS.
  13. I've gone the Twin Sprints route. I had a very bad experience with the 400's and won't go their again. As for there being heaps around, maybe there are, maybe there isn't, but they are very expensive for what you are getting. Having said that, the recalcitrant dog of a 400 I had handled so brilliantly it made my road bike seem shite!

As for smaller bikes teaching you more, you've got to remember that every bike brings with it different attributes. A 400, by virtue of it's weight, height and geometry will allow you to corner diffferently to a 600 Supersport bike. It's lower top speed allows you to gauge your entry speed into corners better and it's relatively modest power and slick tyres allow you to be hamfisted (well, more so) than on a 1000 Superbike.

On the 600's and 1000's, if you don't open the throttle hard, you are simply left behind by everyone else. You then have to brake harder, try to judge turn in points much finer and generally have to think very carefully about how and when to open that throttle. I've always preferred the 600 to the 1000 for track days as it was less intimidating.

It depends on what your aims are. If you want to go racing, you have to think about what you want to do and if you think it is a pathway to somewhere else. A production based formula will lessen costs and still allow a lot of fun without killing the bank account. If you go 600's and want to race, you HAVE to spend money. Even the slow guys are very quick and you need a well sorted and setup bike to be competitive. And the guys I've seen are very competitive. It is after all seen as a feeder class to the Superbikes.

400's are great fun, but the guys there are also very competitive. You can spend a lot of money trying to go quicker and a lot of the bikes are getting older.

Have fun. Coz that's what's it's all about!

If you just want a track bike, get anything. It needn't be the fastest bike out there for you to have a ball. And remember, track days don't permit racing, so a lot of the competition is between you and yourself. Triway has scored a bargain there and is going to have a great track day weapon.
  14. Looking at doing the same , Where are good places for bike Auctions in Vic? Fowles?
  15. I think ill start with around a 600. I own a ducati 620 sport etc, and i find that size and power good, not too much, not too little, im aware the bikes im looking at wont have as much snap off the line, but they will have more high end snap. (might even be wrong on the off the line stuff).

Ill definately be doing track days on the bike, but im not sure about racing, the 600's seem like a viable option. The smaller bikes, might just be too small for me. And there in the same price range, so i might as well go the bigger bike. If i start racing i reckon ill cross that bridge when i come to it hey lol

The twins racing seems like alot of fun, and im confident i seen it on speedweek not so long ago. Look like some good racing.
  16. fowles.com.au

Fowles is bigger and from my research over the past few months, & cheaper. Have bike auctions monthly.
  17. fowles.com.au

Fowles is bigger and from my research over the past few months, & cheaper. Have bike auctions monthly.