Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Track Bike.

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by shady_knife, Dec 21, 2010.

1. always been a sportsbike fan, and of course, i need to do some track days, at least. so i'm very keen on getting a track bike.

i'm in no rush, so i thought might as well ask the experts, timeframe would be hopefully be ready to hit the track by summer 2011/2012.

at this point, still deciding on what bike i want to track.

i've got a 06 ZX-6R, which i'll eventually turn into a dedicated track bike once i have some idea of what i'm doing on the track (ie, LESS chance of binning it)

the bikes im looking at tracking are....

suzuki rgv250
    aprilia rs250
    honda rvf400/vfr400/cbr400

really like the appeal of a 2-stroker, but i am 6'4 (rather skinny though).

on a budget as well, but got plenty of time to raise funds. because this bike will be a dedicated track bike, i'm looking for repairable write offs (mainly due to fairings ect) is this wise? or should i steer clear of them?

should i aim to get a bike thats already set up for the track?
    which of the models i suggested would you reccomend? why?
    should i pay the extra cash and get one that hasn't been written off?
    any years of those bikes i shoudl avoid?
    should i just track my zx-6r?
    any other bikes you suggest i should track?
    what about the 125cc's? or would i be way to big for them?

2. if you want a track bike , and just a track bike to do track days, why would you aim for 250 or 125;s considering your height. Unless you plan on entering races. if its a track bike you want, aim for a 600 or 750. or even a thou. 600s are good for learning, you will keep up with the bigger bikes on the corners etc, but on the straights they will burn you away.
    on a 250, you will be looking for a bigger bike in a year i bet.
    1998 -2002 600's are good. ebay have them. only probs with buying an already track bike, is most people will say they have only done a few track days, when most will have done heaps and you dont know what the engine will be like and more likely just to buy it and suffer impulse buying .
    hunt around, look for a bike that you like, and learn about the bike and what probs it has ie, suspensiuon was crappy, brakes were crappy etc, or it got head shake when you go to fast. Im not talking about buying a faulty bike, i mean as in forum results and tests of bikes and what they said about them. because if you get a bike without knowing its faults about it, you will spend more on getting all the add on extras to replace those parts.If you look for a bike thats got rego, then you can bargain the person down and knock of a grand , tell them to keep the rego etc as you wont need it.and just have it stock and track days that and then build up.
    And if you are looking for a track bike, look for a bike that is a reapirable write off, not a structual write off, becuase in a year you might find you dont want to do it, and at least you can do it back up and register it. Hence y i said look for a bike with rego and low kls if possible. BUt it all depends on how eager you are to get into it and keep doing it. i got mine from a salvage yard, bugger all damage, did the repairs myself, and its now the best track bike, but i can re register it if i want to as kept all the parts and took pics to show the extent if i did sell it later at least i can show existing damage.
    so enjoy researching and eventually you will hone in on one. when u go to track days, ask the guys there what the bikes are like and look to see what is a common bike. cant go wrong with the jap bikes,stick away from Italian ones..to expensive to fix , hope it sort of helps but there is a million questions and 2 million answers!
  3. the main reason i want a 250/400 is that i won't be crashing at AS higher speed were i on a 600/1000. as i'm sure i'll be making newby mistakes, i expect to crash.... the idea is, buy a 250/400 track that until i'm confident then start tracking my zx-6r. i plan on keeping the 250/400 afterwards as well (if its still alive) namely as a piece of furniture or spare.
  4. On a track there isn't any oncoming traffic, random trees or telegraph poles.. buildings.. etc

So even though the crashes are much higher speed, injuries are a LOT less likely.. unless you're unlucky enough to hit another rider hard or run into a wall (which is damn hard considering how far from the track they usually are).

I agree with before, dont go for <250 unless you plan to really do something with it.. I've seen many VFR400's turned trackies and the owners love them, but the price tag would deter many.
    What about a 90's VFR750 for example?

$3-4k for one in good condition, plenty of torque and virtually built for the track.

And you don't HAVE to go all out as fast as possible on the first day
  5. I'm liking your style!

I've seen a fella come off at Turn 1 doing 270... dust off and walk away. The same couldn't be said for his bike though. But as you mentioned you're not contending with things that even at "legal speed" could instantly kill you.

The track is where it's at but be warned to the poster, once you start you wont stop until you end up divorced, poor or sell the bike.

Cheers & good luck!
  6. Start off your track day experience at a smaller track like Broadford or Mt Gambier perhaps, ( forget PI till later, and leave the shithole - Winton for the cagers ), speeds will be similar no matter if its a 250/400/600...a 600 will pull off the turns harder, thats about all.

That said there's plenty of ready to go track bikes out there. Buy one, look after it, don't wreck it, and you should be able to sell it again for around the same money. But if ultimately your going to track your zx6r, then the money you spend on another bike could just as easily be spent on the one you have.

Club web sites, classifieds on Formula Extreme, ksrc forum, ebay......let the search begin.....

Did I mention the next Preston MCC Race School / Junior Development Day @ Broadford is Feb 13, 2001.....calender....now......::):
  7. Buy what you can afford to crash uninsured. Who cares if it's scraped, painted matt black and held together with cable ties (as long as it passes scrutineering)?

Don't take a bike you care about to the track. You'll be slower and it'll make you cry when you bin it.

It might be worth getting something common so when you do terminally bin it or blow it up you can cannibalise the remains for the next one.
  8. If it's for track use only I'd be looking into some of the grey import 250/400s that are difficult/impossible to get registered for the road here and are therefore usually a lot cheaper than what gets sold to learners. I'm thinking of bikes like the GSXR250/400 or ZXR400 which were popular enough in Japan that there should still be a few kicking around, and replacement/performance parts should still be available through Japanese suppliers.
  9. Personally I would be going for an officially imported bike because whilst it might cost a little more initially parts are going to be a lot easier to get from the wreckers.

I would get a 600 as it will be cheaper than a 750 as all the japanese manufacturers make them. Don't worry about it if other bikes can get you on the straights as you are not in a race you just want to learn how to corner better the 600 will teach that better.

Or get a Hyosung then you won't care if you bin it.

Edit Or you can buy my SXV, motards crash well :)
  10. It doesn't matter what size engine...corner speeds are nearly the same. I can go as fast or faster than some 600s with my 400 through corners and only lose out coming out or down the straights.

For something cheap so that you can learn about racecraft and techniques, I would say a 250cc that was imported...parts will be plentiful and relatively cheap. 400cc bikes are also cheap to run...however expensive to fix if you do bin it horribly since parts are harder to source locally.
  11. well i'll rule out the 250's and i'll leave the possibility of a 600 open, but my preference is still a 400.

probably looking at the vfr/rvf's at this stage, seem to be plenty of them around thus hopefully meaning plenty of parts.
  12. Motorcycle disposals have a ZX-4 in that might be had for cheap as I doubt if they'll be getting many offers. Ugly as sin though and I don't know what you'd do for spares.

They've got a mildly scraped ZZR600 too, but that'll probably go for its asking price, being more desirable.
  13. Depends what you want to do. If you want to learn to ride real fast start on a small bike. Learn to ride the shite out of it so you can confidently say your riding it to its max potential. Then take the next step up.

If you just want to enjoy track riding and have a bit of fun buy a 600.
  14. If you are going to go a 400 i'd go one of the honda's either rvf/vfr or the cbr. There is a pretty big market in the uk with 400 parts and even with shipping works out cheaper than sourcing locally most of the time.
  15. +1

Definately be the way if you want to become an awesome rider.
  16. yeah thats the plan. buy a cheapish 400cc, ride the **** out of it, learn all the in's and out's, basically get up to the stage where i know what i'm doing, then retire it and start on the zx-6r or skip that and go to the thou.