Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

track bike to road bike

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by HANDSY, Jun 17, 2008.

1. hey all
    just wondering what would be involved in convertin a track bike to a road bike? ive done a search but am strugglin.
    surely if i put a tyga kit , which has headlights and tail lights, id jus need different tyres?
    has anyone done this?

2. I really don't think it would be worth doing.

Considering most track bikes have been trashed, crashed and abused. Thats why they are track bikes.

If you converted a bike back to road you'd have to spend a fortune on getting it right then it would most likely breakdown.

This is not saying that you cant do it, or it is impossible. Just for the effort and $$$ required it really would not be worth it.
  3. It depends on the bike and how serious the track use has been. A lot of track riders yank out the lights and a lot of the electricals because they add weight and don't help on the track. Sometimes they modify the subframes etc so they can fit fibreglass on and off more easily. They're almost always crash damaged to some extent, some worse than others.

If it comes with all the road gear, go for it. If it doesn't, you could be in for a lot more work than is apparent at first. Case in point is the tracky I've got sitting my garage. I'd love to get it on the road but it's proving a pain.
  4. Describe this track bike?

Basically it depends on the modifications that were done to it. It must be returned to completely roadworthy condition and pass a blue slip, so all the usual inspection stuff. Obviously lights, mirrors etc.. must be fine.

Must meet all ADR's. It could be a lot of work if it's been converted to a proper race bike.

By track bike, you don't by chance mean an import with no compliance plate do you?

There are also mechanical modifications most track bikes have that aren't roadworthy issues, but you'll want to change for the road- e.g. Most track bikes will have water in the radiator, which you'll want to change to ethylene glycol.

Regardless, it's usually not worth the hassle and rarely good value. Do you really want a machine that's guaranteed crashed and thrashed?
  5. thanks very much, very helpful...was just a thort and now i no it was more of a dream lol