Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

"Tourist" looking for some information

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by P4p3r, Nov 19, 2008.

  1. I hope this is in the right forum...

    First, let me introduce myself. My name is Sander de Visser, I'm 20 years old and I live in the Netherlands. I've been riding bikes since this summer.

    I will be visiting Australia in January 2009. I will be staying for about a year on a working holiday visa. I plan to travel around the country, and work when money is needed.

    I plan on riding a motorcycle for travelling around the country, but I have some questions regarding bikes and general riding in Australia.

    I have a Dutch "light" motorcycle license. This means that over here I am allowed to ride bikes upto 25kW (~33HP). A "heavy" license can be obtained when you are 21 years old, or have held your "light" license for 2 years.

    Now, I know there are also certain rules regarding age and experience in Australia, but as far as I've found out so far, I'm good with an international license (English copy of the Dutch one).

    However, now to some more practical things;
    I will have about €2000, or $4000, when I arrive. From this I will have to pay a few nights in some hostel, get settled, buy food and beer, etc. Anyway, I hope to have about $3500 for a bike, insurance, etc. Yes, I'm kinda cheap. I will probably bring my gear with me, so I won't need any of that.

    So I'm sure I can find an older bike for that money, heck my current one is a Suzuki GSX400E from '86 that only cost me €400 and all it needed was some fresh oil and a new battery!

    However, I also understand there are taxes, and perhaps insurances that need to be paid. Over here there is a "road tax" with cost depending on the age and size of the bike. For mine I pay about €7 ($14) per month.

    Insurace is dependant on the age of the owner, accident-free years, and the bike (And of course how much is insured).
    For mine, with 0 accident free years, and the bike being a light naked, I pay €6 ($12) per month (For the basic insurance. if I want, say, theft insurance, or all-risk, it quickly gets up to €40+ ($80+) per month!).

    Now I was wondering, how do those prices compare to Australia?

    Also, over here, for cars we have yearly roadworthy inspections, but for bikes, the owners are expected to maintain this themselves. I believe this is not so in Australia as I read things about some road legal certificates?

    And last what is Rego?

    That's all the questions for now.

  2. You will easily pick up a good old banger to get around on for that money.
    Rego depends on capacity, but if you buy one with residual rego (at least in NSW) you need not worry, and a simple transfer of ownership including 3% tax/transfer duty is required.
    Insurance costs are pretty much the same here, as there. Age < 30 makes for the expensive insurance, so too will a high capacity sports bike.
    As for roadworthy certificates, each state has its own requirements as far as inspections go. I know in NSW we get inspected EVERY year, whereas in Victoria and ACT you maintain the roadworthiness yourself, but risk being stopped on the roadside for a vehicle check.
  3. * recently changed; if the vehicle is less than 5 years old there is no inspection.
  4. Consider getting a private health insurance. As far as I know holders of temporary visas are not eligible for Medicare. Since you are not experienced yet and taking into account that traffic here (from the European point of view) goes on the "wrong" side of the road...you may need that some day. Have a look at www.medibank.com.au and also check www.medicare.com.au just to get a better picture.
    As far as I know if you are on temporary visa you can ride/drive on your international license during all your stay here. Not sure if your "light" match "RE" or something else here...Check your state transport website. For QLD it is www.transport.qld.gov.au
    If you don't mind to ride 1986 POS it should be enough...consider a double amount to get a decent bike. Anyway www.bikesales.com.au should give you an idea.
    Having a POS there is no need to have a comprehensive insurance, consider a trird party damage only. Last time at AAMI they quoted me only about $100 a year with the cover of $20 000 000. But I am in a different age group... Check www.aami.com.au
    In QLD it is only required when you buying/selling, it is about $40
    That what you have to pay to the government to have your bike on the road. Consists of two parts - registration and CTP. In QLD the total cost only depends on the number of seats (1 or 2). If your bike is 1 seat (or converted from 2 seat) you can save some money.
  5. Very true, I was basing my assumption on OP not affording a sub 5yo bike :LOL:
  6. True, true... :)
  7. 'Rego' is short for registration. It costs a different price in each of the different states and territories, but registration from any state is valid across the whole country. So, if you land is Sydney and buy a bike here, the registration will be in NSW but allow you to use the bike throught the country. It needs to be renewed annually, and in NSW requires the bike to be inspected by a mechanic if it is over 5 years old... the registration transfers with the bike, but if you are here for 12 months, you will have to pay for it once... about $500 in NSW...

    In most states there is a restriction on the capacity/power of the bike you can ride for the first 3 years of your riders license, and you are not permitted to carry a pillion passenger. I am not sure how it will work with the restriction on your Dutch license being translated onto your International Licence... it probably won't, which will mean you can ride any bike you wish here...

    Importantly, every travel insurance policy I have seen will only cover you to ride a bike that you are licensed to ride in your country... therefore, if you ride a bike bigger than you are licensed to ride in The Netherlands, your insurance may not cover you... Australian and New Zealand residents can access medical care at public hospitals for free under the Medicare scheme... Non-residents must have their own medical insurance, which would typically be covered by your travel insurance...

    On top of your travel insurance you should buy insurance for the bike... there are two types of insurance, Comprehensive which covers you to repair your bike and a car that you run into if you are at fault in an accident... It also covers the bike if it is stolen... Third Party insurance only covers the cost of damage to another vehicle if you are at fault in an accident... you have to pay to repair your bike yourself... Some companies to choose from are QBE, NRMA, RACV, AAMI... without insurance, you have to pay the entire costs of any damage that occurs if you are at fault in an accident...

    $Au3500 will buy you a reasonable, older, small capacity (250cc or 400cc) bike. Dirt bikes are typically more expensive than road bikes. You need to take into account the way you will mount your luggage, as it will be hard to find a bike with panniers.

    You can buy pretty cheap gear in Australia, but you might wish to bring your from home... remember that Australia has extremes if temperature so your gear may be to warm for our climate... but it does get very cold here as well, especially as you move further south...

  8. Lol - if you mean what does the term mean and if it wasn't clear in the above posts, "Rego" refers to vehicle registration.

    You know, in the same way the brekky is breakfast, uni is university...bloody lazy talkers :wink:
  9. Another option may be for someone here, someone very genourous, to buy the bike in there name and then you get put on there insurance as a 'nominated rider'. I did this with a friend of mine from UK. I just nominated him as a rider of a bike that he payed for, but we put in my name, just to save hassles. He did this on an international licence, not a problem at all. Difference maybe is we are both experienced, over 30, and rating 1 with no accident riders, so dont know if this made difference?

    You will get a reasonable bike for those $, if you know what your looking for mechanically and will get around oz hassle free.
    Insurance isnt compulsory here, well at least in Vic it isnt. So considering all your circumstances and finances, for 3.5k and 12 month stay, I would possibly give it a miss, especially if your confident in your own abilities. I wouldnt recommend it, but its an option. But DEFINITELY get travel insurance before you come, and make sure in fine print that it covers you on a motorcycle-lots dont.
    Gear wise bring your own, save $.
    Luggage wise I wouldnt worry that much. I did 3 months on two 15$ backpacks, multiple pockets in them, tied in centre and slung over seat, saddle bag style. An imitation gearsack(google it) for 30 bucks, some rope, and yer laffin :wink:
  10. As mentioned above rego costs a different amount in different states. Most national companies here tend to do their rego in victoria, i'm assuming this would be because they're the cheapest state? Pretty sure NSW is the most expensive so I'd avoid buying there if you can avoid it. So if you're planning what city to fly into I'd choose Melbourne over Sydney for that reason.

    The other thing as mentioned above is the annual inspection required for NSW vehicles which would be a hassle if you're not in NSW when the rego needs to be renewed. As far as i'm aware you'd have to bring the bike back to NSW to be inspected.

    I'm not sure how it would work with no fixed address but insurance costs vary based on where you live. I know the last time I moved suburbs the insurance company sent back about 1/3 of my premium because being 5 minutes down the road meant I now lived in a lower risk area.
  11. Ummm, don't think so. IIRC, any restrictions on your 'home' license transfer to its use in most (if not all) Australian states.
    It would take a clever police officer to notice that one, though...
  12. And don't forget if it's registered in NSW and you have a single vehicle injury crash you wont be covered by the CTP insurance.

    I think there's a deal between us & the dutch governments for medical stuff but don't quote me on it.
  13. If you think about it from our point of view... you go into the NRMA, show them your license and passport, pay them $80 or something, and they give you a tiny piece of paper as an International License... pretty sure there is nothing about what restrictions you have on your Aussie license... That is why I pointed out the travel insurance thing... if you can't carry a pillion in Australia, and have a get off with a pillion overseas, your travel insurance will be worthless for both of you...

    Many travel insurance policies pay the insurance excess for you an a rent a car, not sure about on a private car...

    You can usually only buy travel insurance before you leave your home country...

  14. The International driving permit issues by the Aus government has a section below the stamps and picture entitled 'exclusions' so perhaps it could be listed there?
  15. When I got an international drivers license for my trip to Europe, my restrictions were not noted under the motorcyclist section.
  16. In Australia we have "road tax" as well. It it levied in a completely random and arbitrary fashion by the side of the road. There are also "road tax" collection stations at some intersections.

    However since you will be leaving the country, payment of this "road tax" is probably optional. :) :)
  17. Haha, yeah, they haven that kind over here too. :p

    Anyway, thanks for all the answers, this helps me a lot! :D

    Australia does have a deal with the Netherlands and several other countries. I will have some health care in Australia, but I do have to keep paying for mine in the Netherlands. But I'll also get travel insurance since it's pretty cheap and something could also happen on the plane or whatever.

    So let me make things clear for myself; Mandatory is:
    - Rego
    - Road worthy inspection (Depending on state)

    - Insurance
    - Road worthy inspection (Depending on state)

  18. Considering you will be flying into Sydney (NSW) and assuming you don't want to travel 1000km to collect your motorcycle in QLD or 1500km to VIC or SA (or just 300km to the ACT, but who goes there...:wink:):

    1) Registration (~$120 per year)
    2) Roadworthy for +5 year old bikes (a.k.a pink slip) (~$50 + cost of items to be fixed)
    3) Insurance (compulsory third party - personal injury a.k.a CTP a.k.a green slip) (~$275 per year)
    ...are mandatory.

    To transfer vehicle registration into your name will cost you 2% of the nominated purchase price, or 2% of estimated value of the vehicle - whatever the person at the desk decides is most reasonable.

    Further insurance (third party - property + fire + theft; fully comprehensive) are optional. (price per bike location, condition, value, your age, riding history etc... from $400 - $2000+ per year)

    Note: If the bike you purchase is "out of rego" or unregistered and has been so for more than 3 months, you will need to "take it over the pits" a.k.a blue slip (more comprehensive roadworthiness inspection) which will cost you ~$550 + cost of repairs.

    Can anyone correct this if I'm wrong - it's late and I can't think straight!

  19. Alright, and what if I land in the other places? :p
  20. Why on earth would you do that!?!?!?!??! :p

    Who comes to Australia to go to Melbourne? You have all the wet, cold and fickle cities you need in Europe!