Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

International Touring NZ South Island

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by Flyboy01, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Hi all

I have been lurking here a while and not posting much. Time to change that.

My brother, a couple of his mates and I rode the South Island of NZ over 11 days in early February and I have cobbled together some words and pictures about it here-

Part I
    Part II
    Part III
    Part IV
    Part V

I hope you enjoy it.

2. Long read, started on part 1.

I have been interested in touring NZ, one day at least.

You probably covered this but I haven't got time to go through it all; what did you do for accommodation? did you just turn up to places when you needed to or did you plan it all before you started?
  3. Great write up.

It is a magic part of the world.
  4. Hi Clayt0nB
    We only winged it for one of the nights, I had pre booked most of the accommodation in advance. It was just as well as Queenstown had a huge rock festival and absolutely everything was booked solid. We would have had to get something for about 400-600 a night for 2 if I hadn't booked, and there was 4 of us.
    Other places we also found all booked out at around 6pm, but if you got in earlier at around 3-4 you would probably be ok. You'd also probably be all good just staying at pubs without booking as well. Motels though tend to book up fast.

You can read my trip reports here starting at day 1.
    New Zealand Day 1
    It goes on for another 9 days so if anyones is going and wants to know what sort of route plan we had I've got maps at the end of each page.
  5. #5 Flyboy01, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
    Chiller has beat me to it. He is obviously the more polite of the two of us.
  6. Mmmm he rides a 250, must be part of generation Y, you know the ones with no attention span
  7. You got me.

Nah I just don't have the time.
  8. I'd love to. The time and the bike are the hard things to find.
  9. The bike is the easy bit. There are plenty of rental companies. Can't help you with the time problem though.
  10. Just did a trip around the south island this Easter school holiday, unfortunately not on a bike but it wasn't the best biking weather either - snapped power poles, lines across the road, huge winds down near Hokitika - apparently Cyclone Ita was visiting at the time.
    You would want to book in advance for any holiday period if you want to motel it, we were in a camper and the camping grounds weren't too busy except when you got closer to Queenstown (very popular and touristy) and Christchurch - people still living in them since the earthquake.
    The Lewis pass from Kaikoura to Westport looked like a fun road, as well as the Haast Pass. And there were lots of others. Around Kaikoura you have to watch for big seals on the road - when the sea is rough they come up onto the road side - wouldn't fancy hitting one of those!