Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

International Touring Europe

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' at netrider.net.au started by Compleks, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Hey guys.
    I'm off to Europe on July 21st for a month. I was just toying with the idea of getting a bike and riding.

I don't like to plan much, so my 4 weeks are pretty much free to do what I like. I fly into and out of London. Will probably be heading in a clockwise direction, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, Croatia, Barcelona, Lagos etc... In that general direction anyway.

But I can't seem to find much information on the specifics of riding in Europe.
    Has anyone here done it.? I saw a few threads, but not much information was available.

I could hire a bike, or buy one and try to sell it before I leave. Idealy I would like to keep the bike costs below $1000 if possible.
    Can anyone shed some light on the proceedure and particulars of riding around Europe.?
    (license, insurance, border crossing, road rules etc...) All that fun stuff.

Cheers for any advice.

2. Im heading to Barcelona with the dudette in 2 weeks. Will be there for a month as well. Getting a campervan for the month. Got a few stages of the Pyranees locked in and Boom festival in Portugal. But besides that I'm heading where the wind takes us.

3. You might want to start with a map mate, Lagos is in Nigeria! ;)

My advice? Don't try to pack so much in, you're only there for a month. I always shudder when I see people trying to pack ten countries into a fortnight... you miss out on so much and it's exhausting because you're always travelling and trying to get your bearings.

4. Cheers guys.
    I don't actually have any solid plans, that's just the general direction I was thinking of heading. I don't like to plan ahead, because I change my mind and prefer to work things out as I go.

Has anyone here ridden around Europe before?

I'm going to e-mail some bike stores in London and see if I can get some solid advice.

5. Should be a piece of piss.....

They all use the wrong side of the road, except Britain. ;-)

Get a decent navigation app on your phone, or a GPS, and get used to using just voice input, not looking at the screen.

Big cities, like Paris, can get seriously scarey when you don't really know where you are going.

Have fun.

Almost forgot....bike rental....some rental places don't like you taking their bikes out of that country, so you do need to ask before renting.

6. #6 Compleks, Jul 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2014
    I'm planning a trip to Europe and am looking at the logistics of buying a bike to get around on.

Is there anything you would recommend that could be bought second hand for <$1500 (aud) that would be reliable enough to clock up roughly 5-10,000 km on...?
    Looking for a comfortable and reliable cruiser/touring bike, if that's even possible.
    I would attempt to re-sell the bike before leaving, but time restraints mean I would most likely make a loss.

Anyway, I'm just trying to figure out if this is viable, or if I should just get a rail pass.

I could spend more, I just run the risk of not being able to sell it before having to leave.

7. How was your trip CompleksCompleks??

Did you end up with any time on 2 wheels?

8. Wish I spotted this thread earlier I could've helped out a bit. I live about 150km from London.
    To do what Complex thought of wouldn't be touring, it would be just riding from city to city, you would miss most of the best bits.
    If anyone's thinking about touring Europe the best bit of advice I would give is to learn a little bit of the language for the country you're visiting.
    Europeans appreciate the effort you put in, if in France you say to a local "Parlez vous Anglais", the reponse you would get is more often "Non".
    If you attempt to speak their language the are more forthcoming and will often practice their English as well.

Riding on the "wrong" side of the road is simple, it soon becomes a natural way. The biggest problem is when you get home, it's easy to make mistakes.

If I was from Australia and had four weeks to ride into Europe I would pick five or six destinations and spend a few days at each, exploring the areas.
    Research is the key, ask for advice and make a list. Look on Google Earth at the areas and if you see a bunch of photo icons in a particular spot, have a look to see if it's interesting.

From a personal point of view, I like great roads to ride and fantastic scenery. If I had four weeks and was from Aus I would leave London and head for the ferry port to France and go straight to Germany to ride the Nurburgring.
    I would then ride through Germany and into Austria, there's some amazing scenery and roads, you can visit The Eagles Nest (Hitlers House)
    Leave Austria and head to Italy to ride the Stelvio Pass and explore for a few days before heading back into France for some more fantastic rides,scenery and food.
    On the way back to England I would visit Normandy in France to see the D-Day beaches and visit a few museums.
    The last week I would spend in the UK.