Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Touring Europe in June

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by sly, Jan 23, 2011.

1. I'm going to Europe in June for a wedding, but will be taking a week afterwards to tour from Holland to Germany, Switzerland, Italy and back via France. So plenty of mountainous roads through the Alps.

I've found a couple of places to rent from, but I'm at a loss as to what to rent...

Requirements are:

Luggage carrying ability
    Scratching ability

Looking at the rental site, there's everything from S1000Rs to Monster 1100s, This is the site http://www.silverline.nl/motorverhuur_alle_motoren

Any suggestions??

2. For touring with luggage, I'd do the BMW 1200 RT. Not much else will carry much as supplied.

Plus, it's a great bike.
  3. I don't know if it's fast, but it'd be able to do speed limits for sure, I'd go for the Ural!! Got the side car which you can shove luggage in, stable over roads you're not familiar with (dirt etc also) and just totally different to bikes you've ridden before (just guessing here)
  4. I really don't think that a sidecar newbie on the wrong side of the road is a good idea. Sidecars are weird things which can go pear shaped quite easily. If you overcook a corner and the chair is in the air and you brake the chair won't stop meaning that you will understeer into oncoming traffic.

The big adventure bikes are popular in Europe I would get one of those though don't go past a goldwing if you can get one they are an awesome touring bike, plenty of luggage space and comfy and reasonably quick considering the size.

Check and double check your insurance is my advice to make sure you are covered, check my ride report of "road trip USA 2010" for what can happen on a rental. Insurance is a must!!!!

Have fun and post some pics too.
  5. If you want some suggestions for routes then let me know....I made up a roadbook for that trip a few years back that is pretty good.
  6. The Honda VFR1200F just won the British MCN touring Bike of the year. Not everyones cup of tea but I reckon it would be fantastic for sport-touring in Europe.
  7. Sounds like a stack of fun.
    While you're in Holland, can you pick something up for me? :wink:

Good luck mate, stay stafe.

BTW, I'd be looking at the Goldwing too.
  8. Thanks for the ideas, but found another place where I can rent a K1300R and a F800GS for my wife for a very reasonable price... gotta love the strong Aussie dollar!!

We rode a couple of BMW's through South America for our honeymoon, my wife had a stack and our insurance covered everything, so will get the same again I think.

Not sure about track usage though... would have liked to do a lap of the Nurburgring on our way down through Germany :rofl:

Anyways, I reckon the K1300R is going to rock!