Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Touchy accelerator?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by shaggy, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Hey I've only had my bandit 250 about 2 weeks now but I've notice that the accelerator is quite touchy and was wondering if there's something wrong with the bike or if it's just me?

I'll try and explain what I mean - when accelerating there is a major shift of weight to the back wheel as you'd expect, and then at a specific point when I am rolling off the accelerator the weight shifts quite suddenly back to the front (engine braking?).

The main problem I am having at the moment is that there is only a couple of mm difference in between the two and I sometimes end up with the bike shifting weight backwards and forwards quite a bit when trying to control my speed, especially in slow moving traffic.

So I just want to know if this is normal and is this just something I need to learn to control??

2. Edit: Wires crossed, ignore.

3. Which model bandit is it? I've found the GSF250V version with the variable exhaust valve to be a little touchy around the rev range at which the device kicks in (or out) - I think around the 9~10,000rpm mark.
  4. Click up a gear. You're reving too hard for cruising down the road. :wink:
  5. It's an older 90 model bandit and doesn't have the variable timing. So that isn't really the problem... :(

As I mentioned I am noticing it most in slower traffic, especially sitting at low revs in first or second gear.
  6. But it's an inline 4 and the engine isn't really doing anything until you hit about 10,000 rpm :D
  7. That's right. And when you hit 10,000rpm it will develop engine braking to match acceleration performance. Keep the revs up in the twisties and other times when you want the performance, but remember that rolling off can be dramatic. If you're just coasting along, shift up for a steady ride. If for any reason you need extra grunt, all you have to do is downshift and throttle on. :wink:
  8. My zx2r is a bit like that ... I got used to it after a few weeks riding every day. It used to really stuff me up doing corners in 1st gear. That said, a couple of bottles of Nulon Total Fuel System Cleaner definitely helped since the bike had a bodgy air cleaner in it when I got it and the carbs were full of crap which made the problem worse since it wouldn't rev properly under 4 grand.

9. yep it's called throttle response. get used to it or buy a scooter.
  10. Thats a handy peice of info. It definitely explains a few things. :oops:
    I'll keep that in mind next time I'm out riding, thanks. :)
  11. Making sure the chain's tight might help reduce a little driveline lash. Your bike might be a bit jerky sometimes if the chain is too loose. I had a Bandit, just get used to it.
  12. This may be way off but what about your suspension?

I was watching an accross in slow moving traffic this morning and every time the ridder stopped his front forks compressed big time so the bike pitched forward quite a bit. Given he was only going slowly it made me think of you. maybe soft suspension is exagerating your bikes touchyness?

Or maybe not, it's just a thought......
  13. It's also the sort of thing that could be caused by a slightly dodgy carb setup - but I'd go with the over-revving explanation to start with.

Don't listen to NAM, he's got a Hornet 900 and the injection on these things is super snatchy... Not all bikes are like ours mate!

In some ways, snatchy fuelling can be a good thing as it forces you to develop good clean throttle control. You'll quickly learn that in order to corner smoothly, you have to set your speed carefully for the entry, and keep a touch of gas on all the way around to stop the bike rocking forward, weighting the front wheel and messing with your steering.

If you're finding there's a little bit of a lag between the throttle response and the wheel catching on, that can sometimes be due to a loose chain, so have a squiz at that. I think they call it drive train lash. (Edit: duuuuuhhh, just like Cammo said!)
  14. Of course it won't hurt to also check that both throttle cables are still moving freely - if they're sticking it could cause problems. Even running fine though the bike will always be a little "twitchy", you'll soon get used to it, just need to be smooth with the throttle.
  15. At slow speeds its alot of friction point with the clutch and rear brake.....high revs too.

Otherwise if your just using throttle to control your slow speed then yeah its hella jerky
  16. What's much more likely when this happens is that your wrists are too high. When you're sitting on the bike with no throttle, your wrist whould be lower than your knuckles - the ones you would punch someone with.

A high wrist makes throttle control very difficult, and it will definitely make the bike feel like a light switch - especially a little four.
  17. Thanks for the input! I think the carbs may need a little bit of tweaking but I tried staying in a higher gear and keeping the revs low and that's really helped smooth out the twitchiness.

Also I think my front suspension is a little soft and may be accentuating the problem.

Anyway I think for now though it's more of a rider education issue and I'll have have to ride my bike the way it wants to be ridden to keep it happy! :)
  18. sounds like carbies... take tuning to stock if it isnt, check float heights, clean and balance, check for vacuum leaks etc. :)