Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Touch up paint - hints and tips?

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by QuarterWit, May 23, 2013.

1. Well, I'm sick of looking at these scratches on my tank. They were put there by some builders who moved the bike while the bars were off and resting on the tank. Ah well.

I've got some touch up paint from triumph - a two part deal with a clear coat.

And I don't want to fcuk it up. Any suggestions?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369234264.429182. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369234280.693518.
  2. How did the paint get supplied? pressure pack or can?

1. sand it back by hand - no power tools! (feathered and inch or 2 away from the scratches)
    2. depending on what your tank is made from (my mates trumpy is plastic) treat with rust kill or similar
    3. fill the scratch with bog, making sure you cover where you sanded and let dry
    4. sand back using your judgement as to whether it's smooth and even (you can reapply bog and try again if needed)
    5. spray undercoat and let dry (you can pick some up at Super Cheap for $5)
    (6a - if you were supplied with a can of paint, you may need to add paint thinners - but only a little!)
    6. if you've never painted before watch the techniques on youtube - basically small, light, even bursts of paint. Do not apply too thick or it will run and you will need to go back to step 1. Let the paint fully dry and apply a 2nd coat. Let dry.
    7. (if you're a perfectionist) run some water over the area and watch - if the water flows evenly over your handy work then all is good - if not, you can leave it or start over)

I'd give it 24hrs to fully dry before you put clear coat.. which is something I've never done, so I'll leave it there.. you may be able to get a spray-painter to do it for ya on the cheap, or see if anyone here knows how to do it..

Good Luck with your adventure (y)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Warm up the paint a bit before you apply it to the tank - it thins the paint and helps stop lumps/bumps etc.

I have a little jar of paint and I put it in a bowl of warm (not hot) water for a minute before applying.
    • Like Like x 1