Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Totally new to bikes

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by SimonLuke, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Hi all,

I just thought I should sign up after a few months of looking around here. I have been thinking about getting a bike for a little while for efficiency initially but pretty sure its a whole lot more fun than a car. None of my friends ride but it has been good getting a lot of information reading this forum. I am still a bit worried I will go to do QRide and be awful but I dunno, have to give it a go huh? I used to ride a pushbike to work though haha so thats gotta be a start.

So I finally went to a shop today to check out the VTR250s (in white too :D I never knew but it looks great!) I really like the look of those even if it is going to cost me a bit. So main thing I need to do now is actually get around to getting my licence and we'll see where I go from there.

2. Welcome, and you're right it's a whole lot more fun and there's many more benefits than just efficiency.

Go get that license, some wheels, and start practicing. Everyone feels like they may be awful... 10 minutes in to the practical side of my learners exam I already felt a bit better.

The moment I got my license I started riding to work in traffic from the very first day. It was quite hairy at times; traffic merging from both directions, wet weather, getting used to the wind on a blustering day... I'd estimate the first 500km's as being the hardest and that takes care of your basic awareness and being comfortable. It takes quite a bit more than that to feel like it's second nature and you never stop learning.

I've got 20,000km's under my belt on a 250cc bike, looking for the upgrade now as soon as I get some cash together and I'm still learning - as are the guys and girls that have ridden many more years than me. It all makes sense when you feel like going for a ride at dusk, the sun is is starting to get low, wind is cool and you're hitting every apex through the hills with a couple of mates.
  3. welcome mate, just get out and have a go, good ol saying, youll never know till you try
  4. HiDee HoDee & Welcome!

As they say; nothing ventured, nothing gained and frankly you will gain a lot from getting your license and becoming a rider - I'll leave you the fun part of working out what those things are.
  5. If I can do it, so can you. You'll be fine and might even find that riding is more than enjoyable, its addictive!
  6. Thanks for the encouragement everyone. All true and I'm sure I will love it.
  7. Welcome; there nothing in the world like riding, and, as far as I know, no such thing as Motorcyclist's Annonymous, 'cos none of us want to give it up!