Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Total newbie here!

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by CarrieJade, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Hi all,

My name is Carina, Carrie for short. I'm 26 and live in Sydney. Going for my Ls in a few weeks after never having been on a bike in my life, so yes I am a TOTAL newbie!

Feel a little anxious posting here as I am kinda overwhelmed by everyone's knowledge and how little I know/how much I have to learn, but from what I've seen this is an awesome and supportive forum.

Still trying to choose my first bike; any suggestions? I'm 51kg and 164cm tall. I love cruisers and was thinking Yamaha Virago, but think for my first bike something like a Honda CB400 would be easier to manouver?

Look forward to getting to know you all!

• Like Like x 5
  2. G'day, you've come to the right place, lots of good newbie stuff on NR.

3. Can't go wrong with a CB400, but I'm biased (y)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Welcome, remember everyone in here was once a first timer as well. Cb400, great learner bike. So many bikes to choose from these days. U really need to go and ride some

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Welcome to NR and good luck for L's. Many of us are noobs here also. I'd suggest any bike blue for you!

6. Welcome, CB400 would easy allow you to flat foot either side so would be a great bike to start with, plus they are pretty damn good anyway and many continue riding them even when they could upgrade to a more powerful bike. Totally different ride to a cruiser though, once you have learnt to ride properly the v-tec only kicks in at 6500rpm so ya gotta give her throttle to get there and enjoy the fun lol!
    Many for sale used as well as they are always a good seller.

7. P.s anxiety will fade with continued airflow around your helmet...., ;)

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. welcome aboard Carrie :) good luck for your Ls.

Try and ride as many bikes as possible, don't be to fazed by other peoples opinions and buy the one that makes you smile :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. The CB400 is nearly 200kg, so its not a light bike by any means. But once you've become accustomed to the weight, you wont have an issue. The weight would also help set up you up for later and a cruiser. I've been on my fulls for nearly a year, and have yet to justify an upgrade although I keep toying with it. And with you at only 50kg, the CeeBee will bloody well fly.

10. Welcome aboard and wish you many happy two wheeled days. Find a mentor to ride with. Since you are a new new rider and a light weight you might want to think of something like a Suzuki 250 Across as your first bike or a Ninja 300. Great bikes to learn road craft on, very manoeuvrable and light. You should be able to get a used one for a good price. Once you've learnt and you are confident then move on to a bigger machine. Cheers

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Hi Carrie, good to see you joining up!

No need to be overwhelmed, even a little bit. As you have already realised there is lots of great advice to be found at Netrider and in my experience over the last year or so since I started riding has been very supportive of newbies. Particularly fantastic are the Saturday morning learner sessions at Homebush and the mentoring thread.

Go ahead and ask as many questions as you like. Remember, there are no dumb questions though you just might occasionally get a dumb answer! Don't let it faze you.

One word of advice re your upcoming L's test. RELAX . It ain't that hard :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Welcome to Netrider Carrie! I will throw a cb 125 into the mix too :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Welcome to the wonderful world of motorbikes... :D

And welcome to NR...

• Like Like x 1
  14. Hi Carrie,

Check out Motorcycle Ergonomics. Just about any bike you can think of is on there.
    Have fun choosing a ride.

15. Welcome to the forum and a lifetime of addiction to two wheels.

As mentioned, see the separate thread in Sydney Learner Sessions at Homebush for some slow speed practice and to meet others going through the same experiences you are.

And happy new year

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hey Carrie, welcome and good luck with the L's. As others have said the learner sessions are a great tool to build up confidence once you get the L's. Don't stress about the L's test, it is pretty easy with plenty of instruction. Enjoy the search for your first bike.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Welcome CarrieJadeCarrieJade. If you go to the learner session (obviously by car at the moment) and introduce yourself, I'm sure the folk there will let you sit on a few bikes, as many of the learner bikes will be present, and you may find a mentor or a riding buddy or two.

BTW, happy birthday Lazy LibranLazy Libran!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Howdy and welcome to to NR CarrieJadeCarrieJade . And happy new year!

• Like Like x 1
  19. vtr250 is a standard bike with a v-twin like many cruisers have. I bought mine new as a learner with plans to upgrade...4years later still haven't ugraded. No abs and no longer sold new, but naked and 140kg ticks a few boxes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Welcome Carrie. I'm not a cruiser man so I'm admitting to bias, but I'd recommend the VTR250, as did abns, or the Honda 400. In both cases they'll do everything you need to do as a learner and provisional rider, and in both cases you may find yourself keeping it after your restrictions are over....

• Like Like x 1