Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Torque wrench

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Mr Messy, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Hey guys.
    Keep forgetting to buy a new torque wrench and finally went to do it, then remembered a few posts on here im buggered if i can find.

Any tips on torque wrenches?
    What i mean is; im sure i read about how different ones have different internal mechanisms and one is way better than the other, about how one should always be returned to 0 for storage and others are fine etc etc...

Anyone able to help me out on that, plus pointers on brand/model?
    Im investing quite a bit of money in tools lately so im looking to get a good one of these too :D.

2. Damn it, the similar threads function below is way way better than the search function!
    *reads all the similar ones...*
  3. There, based on the information in the lovely results as seen in the similar threads below, ive purchased:

Warren & Brown Deflecting Beam Torque Wrench 1/4'' & (1-22Nm) . #320510
    Warren & Brown Deflecting Beam Torque Wrench 1/2'' (10-180Nm). #322500

4. Stahlwille 730N/10 (20-100NM)..... similar to the Warren brown, it's deflecting type but has a really nice adjusting mechanism...
  5. I've always liked the Warren & Brown jobs with the clicker. Robust and easy to use.
  6. How much were they. I need a 1/4" for lower torques
    • Like Like x 1
  7. @ Mr Messy

Good find.
  8. Interesting, might have to pop in there on monday and have a look myself just out of curiosity.
    Think i prefer a mechanical control in my mind, but digital might be just fine!
  9. just a little tip that may or may not be obvious. Don't use your torque wrench to undo anything. Messes with the calibration.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Aware of that one bb, but good tip for anyone who isnt! Cheers.
  11. Good point. For those very rare instances where you need a torque wrench that works both ways, the snap on 3/8 drive one works a treat. However the price is now obsenely expensive. I was lucky to pick one up 20 years ago when they were only ridicuously expensive.
  12. Oooh pretty and shiny.
    They arrived yesterday and i had chance to open them today.
    Nice looking bit of kit, very simple to use and yeah i see the very simple idea that takes springs right out of it. Effective and clever.

P.s. When i need something that works the other way, ill use my nice sidchrome ratchet and if i need it a breaker bar.
  13. my stahlwille one is a deflecting beam (like warren brown) but has a removeable ratchet head so you can put it on the other way round to go backwards if need be.