Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Torque Wrench - Melb

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by gsxrjames, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Hi,

Question for people in Melbourne. I had a bit of a fall the other day. The short story is the bike slipped from under me in very wet conditions. It was a very low speed turn with a moment of stupidity...
    Anyway the bike is mostly ok due to the frame sliders I had on. Just some scratches](*,) and a bend brake pedal. When I installed my sliders I borrowed a torque wrench from a mate. I need to get the mangled slider out and the original bolt back in, things to do, places to be... ...
    Does anyone know where I can find an affordable torque wrench in Melb CBD area or inner north, possibly between 5-7 tonight? I’m not that fussy as I’ll probably only use it every few years but I’d still like to but one. The only place I can think of in the area is AutoBarn and I’m guessing over priced and low quality,

2. I bought mine from Just tools in South Melbourne, around $89 for a Kincrome.

You're only using it to do up the old bolt, not remove the sliders right?

(Why not leave the slider on?)
  3. I was thinking the same thing. You don't need a torque wrench to undo anything.

Come to think of it you don't need a torque wrench to do up sliders. It's not like you are going to blow a head gasket if they loosen up a bit.
  4. The slider is now a mangled piece of plastic. It’s also slightly bent so the bolt in the engine mount may also be bent. I want to get it out and put the original bolt back in before riding again. The bolt needs to be tensioned to 55Nm and it’s not something I want to thread.

Thanks though MV, I might make it in my lunch break
  5. (y) Cool, just checking!

Supercheap are open till 9pm on friday, but a torque wrench from there will be just that... Depends how desperate you are I guess...
  6. I got a nice torque wrench at Supercheap for $29.99! (oh and it's decent quality mind you)
  7. Hmmm tempting, It will mean public transport on a rainy friday evening though. spawn I had a search on the supercheap site and the cheapest I found was $62 for a SCA 1/4". Think I'll opt for the Just Tools Kincrome,
  8. my supershit torque wrench is great too. forget how much it cost but i was broke at the time so it didn't cost too much
  9. Bugger, I have never paid less than about three hundred for any of the t/wrenches that I have or have had. (Something to do with accuracy and quality maybe) One was about $1500.........
  10. I'm guessing you're a mechanic/engine builder :wink:

11. heavy vehicle mechanic
  12. In case someone reading this need to get a torque wrench outside of normal business hours, Bunnies has the Kincrome 1/2" drive for $80. Many Bunnies are open from 7am to 9pm, so it should be more convenient.

It's a Kincrome MTW150F, it's not in the same league as Snap-on, but it does seem to come with lifetime warranty, or at least it's not being explicitly excluded.

It also comes with a calibration certificate, so you can expect some degree of accuracy and should be adequate for occasional use.

Obviously go buy a $500 torque wrench if you use one on a daily basis.