Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

TORK Xpro Helmet Speakers

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by BanzaiElise, Jan 25, 2015.

1. WOW!!! What a difference. I ordered some Tork Xpro speakers from Canada a couple of weeks ago to replace the tinny little originals for my SENA SMH5 helmet comms set. I got around to fitting them today. As I type this I've got my helmet on enjoying some tunes at a much higher quality than the original SENA speakers could ever hope to provide. I can hear bass guitars again and I've got more volume range to play with.

I just ordered the speaker elements:
    Helmet Speakers

Pic shows the size difference between the old SMH5 speakers and the new Tork XPro jobbies. The Torks are also about twice as thick as the SENAs and they only just fit in the space of my Bell helmet. Will road test when it cools down a bit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Have you had a chance to try them out yet?
  3. Went for a ride Sunday evening and it sounds great. Not really any louder than before but much, much clearer. At 100km/h the music is barely audible with earplugs (not much better without) but Googlemaps instructions come through clearly enough. My 30 minute (each way) commute will be much more pleasant.
  4. Yep, I did the same a couple years ago.

For any future readers that come across this, the Tork speakers are super expensive. You can get the exact same speakers a hell of a lot cheaper by buying a pair of Koss over-head speakers. I've forgotten the model number but they are the same, they even have Koss written on the Torks.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. I've said it before and I'll say it again - Molded ear plugs, crystal clear should what ever your speed while protecting your hearing at the same time.
  7. Molded earplugs and earphones hurt my ears. I've forked out quite a bit of money for different ones over the years without success. Even soft foam earplugs hurt after a short while if I don't insert them just right but they are the best solution I've found for both car and bike.
  8. It doesn't surprise me earphones hurt, but molded earplugs shouldn't be an issue. Sometimes it takes some time to get used to them, it is something you do get used to and a quality set of moulded plugs should be a perfect fit for your ear not placing any pressure on your ear or canal.

Wind noise at highway speed can produce ~100db which after ~30mins (maybe less I'd have to look it up) can begin to cause permanent damage. thats not to say you go deaf but you begin losing parts of the frequency range you use to hear. What this results in is difficulty hearing which can become very difficult particularly in social settings or noisey environments.

when you lose part or all of certain frequency ranges you may not even realise, your brain says "oh well" and just uses what ever you have left to continue hearing. when this becomes an issue is when someone is standing right in front of you clearly speaking but the background noise and their conversation is all compressed into what ever hearing you have left and all you can hear is "murp blurp blurp murp blurp" you're then asking people to repeat themselves or smiling and nodding when not appropriate can cause you to avoid putting yourself in these situations such as social outing and parties.

Even worse is tinnitus which i can only explain as being like when you here a really loud noise and for a few seconds after you hear a tone or ringing in your ears, tinnitus is this sound but all the time. People who suffer from this can be irritable and sleep deprived and there is nothing that can be done to treat or cure it.

This might sound a bit like an ATGATT preach, but it is very serious hearing loss creeps up on you very slowly over time. I worry because fitting big speakers to hear what ever you are playing over wind noise is really bad.

Perhaps an alternative to big speakers or ear plugs could be more padding or sound dampening material around the ear pocket, a helmet with a neck roll or chin curtain also helps keep the wind noise out. then you can still listen to your speakers but not have them up so loud.
  9. I already have Tinnitus. More than 30 years of loud cars and wind roar from convertibles have taken their toll. I'm happy to have vehicles with quiet exhausts these days but I still love induction noise. Quad throttle bodies and V-TEC are addictive.

When I know I will be heading out of town and spending more than a few minutes over 100km/h I use decent foam earplugs on the bike and in the car. That includes roads like the M4, M2 etc. The music is just for commuting.