Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

top speed out of the showroom???

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by removed-6, Oct 22, 2006.

1. So I was riding up to Winton today to watch the supers and hooked up with a few lads that were 'playing' a bit. Speaking to them after we got there, he says he touched 300kmh :shock:

Now I know my 600 is limited to somewhere around the 250kmh mark, this guy was on a fairly new GSXR1000. Could he get to 300kmh, are they able to do this straight out of the showroom without restrictions like mine?? Or was he just blowin' his trumpet?

2. A motorcyclist blowing his trumpet? NEVER!

Toot toot...

3. wouldnt surprise me.

my 'nearly twenty year old beast' is meant to top out at around 270 stock (source- american forum) so with lighter frames and similar or more horses i say plausable.

4. It is my understanding that a current model GSXR1000 in stock form will not (quite) do 300kph genuine, but they will do 300kph indicated.

Having said that... I still think *toot* applies... it takes a bloody long straight to get far past 250!

5. Speedo error is large at those speeds. My mate on his R1 was indicating 270k's, but according to the gps was only 252km/h...

6. Hume Hwy is a bloody long straight :grin:

7. Yes Cammo... a speedo error of 20 to 30kph is par for the course at those sorts of speeds.

8. 300 is a possibility.

My Hyo does about 120 :shock: :shock: :oops: ](*,) :eek:hno:

9. top speed out of the showroom???

I would have thought it depended on the size of the showroom and the available run from the rear to the doors. Maybe 20-30kph tops I would recon at best.

10. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Too funny ! :cool:

11. something a hell of a lot of people mistake for speed is the effect leaning your bike over onto the edge of the tyre has on the speedo. Saw a video a little while back where the block is doing about 270-80 top indiscated on a zx10 and he leans it into a corner and the speedo jumps to 299. People immediately asking 'oh wow so fast wish you could have gotten that extraa kay out of it'...
    I've got avideo here where a zx14 is struggling to even hit it's speed limiter on a callibrated sigma.

come to think of it, it was this video. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1827544967383571522&q=zzr1400+autobahn

He might not be lying, but he's deffinitaly got the speedo in his favor...

12. If it was 300km/h straight out of the showroom (which it may well do), what's the running-in period of the engine? I know you said 'fairly new' but bloody heck I'd be running in the engine - or perhapps that WAS the running-in lol

13. there's alot of atomosphere to push through over 250kms/hr & there is the speedo error at those higher speeds mention earlier.
    It seems that most 1000cc sport bikes have the hp on paper to get it up there, but a review of the Kaw ZX14 had it hitting top speed in 5th - 6th being geared to high to make any effective accelleration over 270kms.

Fastest I've been on my 10yr old 748 is 245kms/hr (indicated) at the bottom of Gardiner straight in 5th, trying to change to 6th earlier had the accelleration go flat(er).

Big numbers are great but it's all wind noise & 'holding on' over 240kms/hr IMO.

Notorious that road - Hume hway. That bloke should buy a lotto ticket.

14. 2 out of the three guys who were riding together had a 100kmh start drag race and about 1km after they rolled off and me and the other guy caught up there was a copper who had just pulled a driver over. :shock: :cool:

Was a fun ride up though. That was the only cop I saw all day.

15. Tailwind?

16. At WINTON! :shock: fcuk mate, if Johnny O (I have huge respect for him) said that to me I'd ask him how much he thought that hand job was worth. :wink:

It's too fcuking tight. Perspective; Supercars got up to about 160 before the straight was shortened. :wink:

17. https://netrider.net.au/?page=news&action=fullnews&showcomments=1&id=435

MV Agusta F4-1000R sets an average 2-run speed of 299kph in factory-floor road-going trim, but minus the mirrors, and that holds the 1000cc stock land-speed record.

That'd be a run-in bike too. Bikes that are brand new tend to be a little "stiff" and will achieve their full potential of power only after 300-600kms.

So if the GSXR-1000 was doing 300kph, it'd be going faster than the current land-speed record holder. If it was doing it with its mirrors attached (good for an extra 10kph if removed), then it's highly dubious.

Most newer speedo's are out by around 5%, so I'd estimate that it'd likely have been doing around the 285kph mark, which given the power level, the mirrors, and the bike itself being stock, would be about right.

18. I thought it was the time over distance cameras that were the problem on the Hume?

Marty