Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Top Gear

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by boro_baba, May 2, 2008.

1. If any of you have ever seen that british show "Top Gear" on SBS I've got good news for ya.

There bringing the series to Australia and they are looking for a Host!

Dunno where you can apply but im sure google has the answer.

just thought id let you all know. :)
  2. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the entries for this closed 1st Feb.
  4. I could totally be James, the consummate geek.
  5. I could be Jeremy, only with straight hair ..... and better teeth.
  6. Couple of car-nut friends of mine applied. One crapped out at the first hurdle, the other is still in the running - had a couple of 'discussions' with the project people.
    I got the impression it's more of a licensing arrangement, as there doesn't seem to be much involvement from the UK production company. Don't be surprised if it has a very "Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi" feel to it.
  7. And I would be the

Pagani Zonda C12 S 7.3[​IMG]

8. Yeah, I'm expecting it to be very much an Australian-style car show (and fear it'll be just like all the other uninteresting Australian car shows while badly copying the 'silly challenges' Top Gear entertainment segments).

As Clarkson kind-of-sort-of pointed out in the real Top Gear - What would Australian Top Gear talk about? Aside from a small handful of cars that only Australia gets (some of which, like the high-end Holdens, the UK gets anyway), we don't have much to contribute.

Or does 'Australian-style' mean they'll just poo-poo every family sedan that isn't front-engine RWD purely due to drivetrain layout? ;)

I guess we'll find out soon enough. :)
  9. funny it is, what you can find with a little research.

Go back to the 20's and 30's where people were putting 14litre and 30 litre 12 cylinder engines into cars, let alone aircraft.
  10. As long as it doesn't have a "commercial" feel to it like the other Aussie car shows that have been on the air recently (which are usually nothing more than thinly veiled infomercials).
    The car media in this country seems to be far too afraid of upsetting the manufacturers to give the brutally honest opinion on cars most people actually want. Can see the same thing happening here.
    I doubt an Aussie Top Gear would rate well if they had to wait until a new Ford/Holden was in the showrooms to do a review, and they're unlikely to get one early if they ever give that manufacturer a bad review (even if it is the truth).
  11. I'm not expecting too much as IMO Aussie tv is generally crap.

On a side note. It would be awesome if they added a section for bikes on the Brittish Top Gear.
  12. +1 Sounds like it will be dodge... I mean can you imagine them speeding or playing around on Aussie roads... the police will arrest them and confiscate their cars. Of course at the request of idiot pollys and nannas.
  13. There will NEVER be a Bike Section on British Top Gear because Clarkson HATES bikes.....
  14. I think I read that Loz and Chef made a video audition tape for this.
  15. i dont think the show will live up to its expectations
    Top Gear is Top Gear... not Top Gear US or Top Gear Aus.. well thats my thinkiing
  16. 5th Gear has run a couple of bike stories over the years.
  17. True. Still it'd be nice to see them run a few bikes around that test track of theirs just to see how the times compare.
  18. This is bollocks. Top Gear works because of the people that present it and the euro-centric nature of the show. Having a bunch of Aussies try to rip off the format will just be really lame.

As for bikes on Top Gear, Hammond has been trying to get Clarkson to let him review a bike or two for years. I doubt Clarkson will ever give in (as Hornet mentioned, he hates bikes) but we can live in hope.
  19. Aussie Top Gear?! It'll be crap. Like what was said earlier, Top Gear is so successful due to the hosts and its European setting.
  20. One thing I can guarantee - IF my mate gets the gig, it will not be boring or Aus-centric! (and he's genuinely qualified for the job).