Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Top Box

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by perfectpete11, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Hi there.
    I'm as new as new can be.
    Hope I can get some help.
    Just updating from a Honda 125 (my first bike) - which by the way is for sale but that's another issue - to a Honda 400.
    Find that the 2014 model will not take a regular brand top box - Givi, Bagster, Ventura.
    Surely somebody out there has a top box on a 2014 Honda 400. If so, what brand please?

2. welcome Pete.

What Honda model is it?
  3. I'm surprised that you say you can't get a top box for your model Honda. Ventura do a mounding kit for luggage for almost every model bike. Get the rack for mounting a sports bag, and most top boxes come with a generic mounting plate that will fit that rack. Check out Third gear, I have one of their top boxes fitted to my Ventura rack.
  4. Hi Mick.
    It's a CB400. Ventura do a top box for the 2013 model but NOT the 2014 apparently. I even went to the distributor (Kenma??) and they verified that this is indeed the case.
    I guess I'm asking, "Is there another brand that might be worth exploring?"
  5. Hi Senator17.
    Thanks for replying.
    I emailed Kenma (the distributor for Ventura) and they said that whilst they do a top box for the 2013 CB400, it won't fit the 2014 CB400.
    Right now, I'm buying a CB400 and it looks like I won't be able to fit a top box it.
    I'll check out Third Gear - thanks heaps for that suggestion.
  6. Welcome to NR
  7. Check out these Pete. GIVI : Special Carrier [61354] Yes the CB400 can have a top box. I just fitted Givi style rack with modified base plate to use a Givi box. The ventura rack broke due to too much weight, plus they're very thin-walled in their construction. I will post pics of the finished product when complete.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. The Sales guys at Third Gear sent me this link:
    https://www.motorradgarage.com.au/image/cache/data/SW-Motech/Alu Racks/Yamaha/GPB.06.239.100-528x429.jpg
    They don't sell them. Does anyone know who might?
  9. ^^ I can't see how that's going to fit a CB400 Pete??
  10. Very interesting and informative Ned. Thank you. The guy selling me the bike, at one of Sydney's more prominent dealerships, was pretty adamant about the fact that you can't fit a Givi Top Box to a 2014 CB400.
    You did fit it to a 2014 model didn't you?
    I'm picking it up tomorrow. As excited as a dog with two d$%ks.
  11. Mmmm. Where to now?
    Thanks for your feedback Ned
  12. No worries Pete. The bike I fitted it to is a 2011 model, but I don't see any change to the later models. A GIVI box, or any box for that matter, can be fitted to virtually any bike, it depends on the mounting plate which needs to support it. Once the mounting plate is fitted, you have a wide range of options. I will try to get a photo up, although it's still not all done.
  13. #13 Ned, Sep 8, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    As promised perfectpete11perfectpete11, CB400 GIVI rack fitting, bike is 2011 model, as purchased in previous link.

You'll need to supply longer bolts for these mounting points, retain original washer:
    cb shock.

What it'll look like when finished:
    cb side.

Longer bolts are supplied so grab handle is retained:
    cb rail mount.
    Sick of broken racks so this should be the final fix!!
  14. Ned...you are a legend. Thank you sooooo much!!!
  15. Cheers Pete, happy to help (y)
  16. Howdy & Welcome to NR!