Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Top 10 tools a motorcyclist needs!

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by robsalvv, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Don't leave it all up to the mechanic.

Here's an article that tells you the ten tools you need and why.

"By Evans Brasfield

While we may not have realized it when we bought our first motorcycle, owning a bike also means getting our hands greasy. There’s something about sitting down with your bike and doing your own maintenance – or really diving in with some modifications. No matter how involved you get with wrenching on your bike, a certain set of tools belong in every rider’s garage. However, some tools are so essential that they move beyond being a mere tool and become almost as part of the bike, as in the case of a tire pressure gauge."

Click on link for more: http://www.motorcycle.com/top10/top-10-tools-every-rider-needs.html
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Just a few personal points.

You don't NEED to do your own oil changes.
    You don't NEED to lube your cables YOURSELF.
    If you're not doing your own servicing you don't NEED bike stands, and if you have a centre stand fitted then there's even less need.
    Metric spanners for a metric bike, imperial spanners for the yank bikes.
    You don't need a chain breaker if you get a mechanic to do all the work.

One thing I will say is check the tool kit that comes with bike. Make sure you carry the right tools to adjust the chain, remove light lenses, remove body work (in some cases you need to remove body work to get to the battery), loosen/tighten the controls/mirrors etc. I usually carry zip ties and occy straps as well, you'd be surprised what can be fixed with these.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Fair points Mick.

The chain breaker was the one I most considered as a "what the?!" and maybe the cable luber. I agree with the rest of the article though - on the basis that there are some basic things riders should be doing. Oil changes aren't technically difficult and cleaning and lubing the chain is an absolute. You cannot rely on your mechanic.

I've seen one 250cc bike that only had 7000km on the clock with completely and utterly shagged chain and sprockets. They'd only been lubed (not cleaned) 3 times - delivery, 1000km service and 5000km service. No one told the rider they had to do their own chain servicing.

If you're not lubing and cleaning your own chain regularly then be prepared to shell out ~ $250 (plus/minus depending on quality) every 10 - 15,000 km on replacement chain and sprockets. A bit of chain servicing is a no brainer that goes a long way.
  4. Some people will argue the point on lubing modern O chains (I'm not one of them). However, proper chain adjustment is very important and an improperly adjusted chain will cause more damage and cost far more in the long term than an un-lubed chain.
  5. LOL and they'd be wrong. We dissected that here years ago and put it to bed. The Oring doesn't seal the roller, it only seals the pin. Lube is still required for chain longevity... anyway, moving on. :)
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. torch, and a tube of liquid metal or
    metal putty [​IMG]
    Puncture repair kit[​IMG]

Who wants to be stuck a country mile from anywhere with a flat you could of fixed for less than $50(Or a can of that Tyre fix stuff)
    • Like Like x 1
  7. How times change. When I first started riding the number one tool is virtually not needed these days - a combination bottle and stubby opener.

There will be a lot of debate about which tools are really necessary but torch is a good one.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. For anything catastrophic - charged phone, RACV total care + credit card.

For anything minor - piss and moan, tyre repair kit, basic tools in tail bag and limp home.

In either scenario Beer and Whiskey is the most important final component to the "fix" or "recovery"
    • Like Like x 2
  9. BitSarBitSar Your #1 tool should be something to remove Knobby knobs ;)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. scissors? Not manly knobs?

oh and on a more serious note...

Appropriate Ambulance Cover.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Socket extensions are good, even if you don't need the extra length(which I do) it makes undoing long bolts quicker.
  12. I found the comment on how ratchet spanners work well in confined spaces interesting. I bought a set yonks ago and found I couldn't use most of them because the larger head wouldn't fit into the confined spaces of a motorbike.
  13. Not a member of the RACV/NRMA - way to costly. But I am a member of the NSW Motorcycle Alliance which for $35 offers a breakdown service comparable to the RACV/NRMA basic roadside assist.

Mobile phone is always a good idea, however I word of warning for those travelling out west or even around the Snowies and Riverina/MIA. Reception can be sketchy or even non existent at times so, either turn off your phone when you're not using it or carry a mobile charger of some sort - it's amazing how much charge is lost as the phone continually searches for a transmitter. Oh and unless your with Telstra or Optus you could be in for even more pain. For example, there is no Vodaphone coverage in Temora.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Total care is a pretty good deal actually.
    ~$150 p.a

Covers the Wife's cage and my bike.
    2 free tows per year.
    If stranded they'll pay accommodation for 1 night.
  15. One only needs one tool to do work on a motorbike (no not the local dealer mechanic).

• Like Like x 1
  16. lol ZXR, imagine the frustration of trying to squeeze that past the frame.

I've thought about this, but they only give you a 50 km's round trip before the tow company then charges you their emergency callout rate, so I didn't join up. The only time I would use it, is out in the boonies, and then it's going to cost me plenty anyway to use it. So I'm torn between taking my chances on the locals helping me out, or paying the extra for more expensive roadside assistance that gives unlimited KM tows and accommadation up to $1000 a year.
  17. Some manufacturers have dealer roadside assistance, it's normally cheaper than RACV roadside assistance.

I can't quote other makes charges but as an example for H.O.G members Harley roadside assistance is free for the first 2 years and only $70 per year after that compared to $150 for total car with RACV.
  18. I suppose it's what you can afford vs the likelihood of needing it....
  19. I bought this little ratchet kit from Costco.

It has been invaluable at getting into tight spaces and undoing bolts up in the body work of my bike.