Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

tools ?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by coxy., Aug 1, 2008.

1. Hi everyone
    im thinking of doing the minor service for my 02 vfr800 to save a few bucks.
    the only thing is i have no tools and will have to go buy some. what should i get to get me started, i can always add to the collection. i have no experience working on bikes but have worked on cars a bit so if i take my time it should all work out fine (i hope)

2. Get the following in good quality gear:

Metric socket set, with 1/2 inch and 3/8 inch drivers, and sockets between 6mm and 32mm if possible to cover all your bases.

Roll of metric spanners, 6mm to big fellas, with ring and open ends

Screwdriver set with several different sized flat and phillips head screwdrivers, magnetic tips if possible and with metal bits on the end of the larger ones to tap with a hammer

Set of metric hex keys (I recommend the ones that have a balled end on one side), the bigger the set, the better.

Pointy-nosed pliers

Snub-nose pliers with cutters

Large-ish multigrips

Get the following in any old gear:

Hammer
    Loctite or other temporary thread-locking agent
    WD-40
    "magnet on a stick" (pays for itself very quickly)
    Drip tray with a funnely end and a pointy thing to stick a filter on
    Straight drift/cold chisel

That sort of kit will get you through most jobs

3. circlip pliers or a chain breaker is also useful
    oil filter wrench/attachment, good oil drip tray and small oil funnel
    rear and front stands if you have spare cash

i also use tyre spoons/levers (get the short ones, not the long ones for cars/trucks) and a home made bead breaker

a handheld impact driver can also be handy for changing sprockets

4. Thanks for the list of tools and link
    it looks like my next days of im of shopping and spending the afternoon servicing my bike over a few beers.
    i will tell you how it goes.
    thanks again

5. while on the subject would a torque wrench be reconmended?? Just I notice on my new bike Suzki GSX650f for example in the manual when you adjust the chain it has the torque setting the rear nuts need to be tighten too.

Or should I just trust my self and tighten em to what I think is tight??

6. +1 on Loz's list.

Remember, too many tools are never enough and the adage that it'll come in handy sometime is so true so never throw anything out.

Go to Total Tools or Alltools as well and think about a little 1/4" socket set - they're only about $80 for Stanley or Sidchrome and they are the go for lots of the <10mm nuts and bolts that you come across.

Then get into a whole stack of powertools and welders, because you never know when you'll need to build something. I like the De Walt product myself.

Robbo, I don't have a torque wrench and have just done the chain tension on the wife's GSX650 - I just tightened it the same as every other bike I've owned but I can see where it would be handy. Hmm, when's payday???

Coxy, you're just up the road. If you want to do a service, PM me and come round.

7. Great selection Loz and I'll add a stumpy #2 phillips head and stumpy medium screwdriver. Regular ones are often to long :?

8. Put a texta mark on one of the flats and retorque to the same position. It'll be close enough. 72ft/lb is what the Bandit should be so I assume the new 650 will be similar but the mark will be close enough.

You almost need 2 torque wrenches for a bike as something reading 12lb/ft wont be accurate at 110ft/lb (Nm!)

9. I'd say an impact screwdriver too. If your bike has socket cap screws all over it you may not need one but otherwise it's a must.

10. Well i got up nice and early and went down to supercheap. I didnt but to much, just a socket set, metric hex keys and metric spanners. then after drooling over all those tools that i wanted to get, it was off to redwing honda for filters and finally over to acceseride for fluids and oil and then home.
    After a coffee and a smoke i started with removing the fairing and having a look aroung. ........ i put the screwdriver through the oil filter.......... 6 hours later .... i cleaned the bike and took it for a ride and everything works like it should, nothing fell off, i wasnt to difficult and i did notice the bike ran better.

i didnt wont to bore you with every step i took and i didnt take photos to show you step by step because im lazy.

im glad i did the minor service myself because i now feel i know my way around the bike a little bit more and am looking foward to the next day in the garage almost as much as im looking foward to my next ride

11. Loz's list is a pretty great start, and would cover many jobs.

You can get some of the cheaper branded stuff such as Supertool and the like to start but buy better if you can. This is not recommended if you are a full time diesel mechanic, but for home servicing of motorcycles every 5 thousand kays, they will do fine. If you are going to start doing more on the VFR, I recommend a set of long handled, needle nose pliers, both bent and straight versions as you will need these if you every want to take you air box completely off. I also got a set of hex key sockets which I use all the time. The set of hex keys with the ball end are an absolute must though and I also use these all the time (Bondhaus are a good set...)

If you want to treat yourself, get a torque wrench as well. A 1/2 inch version is a great start, and this will ensure your brake caliper, axle and suspension bolts are done up correctly (often not as hard as you think...). My next purchase will be a 3/8 inch version.

Some other disposable items can include kerosene for cleaning parts, penetrene for stuck bolts, degreaser and mid strength thread locker. All cheap and all easily found at auto stores. And rags. Lots and lots and lots of rags.

I love my tools and have slowly collected many thousands of dollars worth over almost a decade. There not much left on a motorcycle I won't tackle now, and you have started a very enjoyable journey that will leave you with some great skills.

12. Get t-bar sockets too. They are very useful

13. You just must have one of those little stools on castors with the tool/parts tray under the seat.

You see them in the supercheap catalouges every now and then for about $40.

All the pros have them.

:wink: :wink:

14. I forgot one very important tool.

Get yourself a Haynes manual for your model of bike. Regular mechanics have access to the official service books for the bikes, and these can be great too, but I find the Haynes versions better for the ham-fisted lay person such as myself. Every time I buy a different bike, a manual is one of the first things I purchase. I have used it to do the following on my Aprilia with only basic tools:

Replace fork fluid.
    Replace brake pads, and bleed brakes.
    Replace worn clutch slave seal.
    Replace stuffed starter relay.
    Check valve clearances.
    Remove wheels for tire replacements.
    Change oil, filters both air and oil.
    Replace and gap spark plugs.
    Replace battery.
    Replace assorted globes and lights.

It gives you step by step photos of what you should be doing. Torque settings and part numbers. Invaluable.

15. Thanks, i will look into getting one. they sound very useful