Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tools for the job - getting head.

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by Steamfrog, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Hi I am about to replace the head on an Aprilia rs 125 and have a question about torque wrenches, small spaces and tools.

Getting the head off was a real tight fit, lots of missing skin and the spanner got about 1/10th of a turn each time, it took ages to get it off and I am concerned about how to get the bolts super tight again in such a confined area.

I can't get a socket or extender straight onto the bolt as it's being blocked by the top of the head.

Does anyone have any tips on what tools I should be looking at?

I was thinking of a universal socket thing but I'm not sure if it will fit or work as it's very tight height wise as well.

Also the manual tells me I need to use a torque wrench, but I cant see how I could get on in the space without some kind of extenders.

Any help / links would be very much appreciated.

I can post photos later if this is not clear.

2. Piccy would help.
    Ring spanners dont fit,??????????????????????????
  3. Yeah Ok I'll post some tonight when I get home from work.
  4. A trick to use if you can't get a torque wrench into a tight spot to check a nut or bolt. Find the same sized nut and bolt, put it in a vice, torque to the required spec. Now pop your ring spanner on, and loosen it off, then tighten back up so the spanner is at the same angle as it was when you started. If you have any sort of "feel" or mechanical sympathy, you will be able to get it spot on after practicing a couple of times on the test bolt. Most times, the actual torque is not super critical, but the torque value should be even across all bolts/nuts. Especially on cylinder heads.
  5. Great thread title! (y)
  6. I'd suggest that taking the motor out of the frame would solve the problem, and take less time than dicking around putting it together with special tools. Would save your knuckles too!
  7. Yep. That'd be my favoured solution too.
  8. But that don't help him torqueing the nuts on the bottom of the barrel where it bolts to the crankcases.
  9. Yeah I reckon a universal some extenders and a new sidchrome set is gonna do it. I have been looking online at the tool styles, will pick on up stairway. Let you know how it goes.
  10. Piccys, ?????????????????
  11. Yeah forgot to take some.. will plop the head back on tonight and post some.
  12. hey mate,

with the uni-sockets(thats a uni-joint with a socket instead of the square drive)/joints its all depends on how much your willing to spend on them...(they dont call it super cheap for nothing) but most will do the job,

as for getting a torque wrench in there..can you get at it from the top with the tank off and a few extensions?
    ive never had a close look at a rs 125 but thats how i got the head torqued up on my bike.

hope this helps.

13. here are some pics showing clearances.[​IMG]
    I could drop out the engine but it seems excessive to just do rings and piston.
    I'm gonig to get a sidchrome set tomorrow and see if that works if not I'll drop it out.
  14. Bend the Ring spanner at a right angle just near the neck of it, and you might have to cut the end of the ring out of the spanner,
    You need an oxy set to heat the ring spanner to bend it,
    Butchers method, but it does work,
  15. an easier option would be half moon spaners (a ring spanner made like the shape of a semi-circle) or some crow-foot sockets. depends on how much your willing to spend on tools just to get it done.

i would of droped the engine before even starting to be honest.
  16. If you can't get a torque wrench in there (and i can't see how you would), a trick I often use is to get whatever spanner you can on there, then do the maths with the length of the spanner and work out how much pull force (in kg) you need on the end of that. You could then use some sort of spring balance, but what I do is pick up an appropriate weight (for 2kg, a 2 litre milk container full of water etc..) using as many fingers as I can get on the spanner. Then apply that much force, estimated by feel, to the spanner. Its surprisingly accurate.
    Note that you need to measure the length of the spanner as between the centre of the nut to the point on the spanner where you grab it.