Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tool Steel

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by vladpp, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Does anybody know where i can find some tool steel?

Long story short, when my chain came off it took the clutch push rod with it.
  2. tool steel typically comes from machine tool supply places like hare and forbes, asteg etc - try yellow pages.

Question though - why do you want a lot of very brittle and expensive super high strength steel for a clutch push rod? Why not a new factory item or visit a wreckers?
  3. You might be suprised how chap the factory replacement is. Also consider dowel rod from a bearing supplier or a better grade of bright bar (1040 should be fine)
  4. Tool steel can obtained from the likes of GAM steel and any other commercial steel merchant.

As others have said, tool steel is overkill. Just get an OEM part, it won't cost that much
  5. Alright, ill call up a couple of places to see if they have a clutch rod. Its just that its a grey import and half the places haven't even heard of it. When i went for new brake discs i was told Suzuki no longer stocks replacement parts for it.
  6. Out of curiosity, what bike?
  7. suzuki gf 250
  8. What about 1020 bright bar?