Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tool kits, etc?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by demuire, Nov 17, 2005.

1. I was mucking around my bike the other day and discovered the removable cover on the side, and a toolkit inside! It's like christmas is here already :) Anyway, had a look inside and there's like a spanner, 2 screw drivers, some allen keys, a spark plug remover tube and a few other things I don't know what they're for.

What does everyone else carry in their toolkits? Do you even carry a toolkit? Is there anything else I should consider carrying - a puncture kit? The space for the toolkit on the Virago isn't very big at all.

Also, bike locks. I've got one of those Kryptonite disc locks, and it came with a pouch to clip onto your belt, which is how I've been carrying mine around. My only concern is, if I fell off the bike, it's something rather hard and heavy that's clipped to my belt, which could cause further injury? Without actually carrying a backpack or bringing along the tank bag, is there a better way to carry the lock around? I suppose I could put it in with the toolkit, but the latch on that hatch doesn't really look like it's made to be opened and closed repeatedly.
  2. I never liked the thought of carrying a hardened piece of steel on my person to jam between myself and the road in an off.... Semmed very ouchy hurty to me...

My Xena came with a pouch, I took off my side fairing and attached it to the frame of the bike but sitting outside the fairing when it was put back on. This worked well for a while untill the pouch got a tear in it and then subsequently fell apart within days (dam cheap xena pouches)

I tried carrying it under the seat but got too worried about shorting my battery, so now it sits in the backpack if i need it...
  3. Is there anywhere on the bike you can clip it?

4. The VTR250 has toolkit underseat in its iddy biddy storage space, most bikes would come with at least basic tools.

Got a pillion strap? Slip the disc lock onto the strap and lock it, no worries.
  5. I picked up a cool little tool. It's a bit like a pocket knife, but it's for allen keys. It also had a cheese and phillip head screw driver in it.

You can get quite expensive ones of these, but I picked mine up at K-mart in the push bike section.

Pointy nose pliers and a smaller shifter. 10mm ring/open spanner also seems to fit a lot of things on a bike.
  6. If you ride at night then always handy to carry a torch - for some reason things are always more likely to go wrong on a bike when it's dark.
  7. My BMW came with a pretty comprehensive toolkit, including a puncture repair kit with plugs and gas cylinders. I have just added one of those 'leatherman' tools, (a copy not the real thing), a good tyre pressure guage, and a small torch.
  8. I can't find anywhere on the bike to clip the lock, no. No pillion strap either, in fact, no pillion seat even.

jd: torch could come in very handy, thanks. My phone has a torch on it, but I doubt I'd want to be poking it around the bike or using it to work on the bike either.
  9. I thought they came with a spare enigine. Must be slipping
  10. No, they discontinued that when the service intervals went out to 300,000 K's
  11. spanners and/or sockets for just about everything that can be serviced. Allen keys, screwdriver (and a long phillips-head bit with a hex shaft that can be gripped with a small spanner - for those stubborn ones). Tyre levers, tube repair kit and compact hand pump (It may take ages, but it never runs out of gas) electrical repair kit (tiny multimeter, combination testing tool, crimper/cutter, spare crimp connectors, butane soldering iron and solder and flux. Torch. spare fuses, spare bulbs. (one headlight and one that can replace tail/stop/indicator) Leatherman copy. (all the above fits under the seat). Haines book of lies in a pannier on longer trips.

Hey, one of the joys of riding a 26 year-old bike is that there is always something ready to reach its use-by date.
  12. Have you ever tried one of those miniature 12v electric pumps? they look neat.
  13. moike: WOW. That's a lot of stuff! My mini multimeter barely even fits in the little space for the toolkit on the Virago...
  14. and around Christmas time, a partridge in a pear tree :LOL:
  15. Now there's a real BMW rider :LOL:

One thing that I've found is that on any ride, it's the guys whose bikes are generally the most reliable that carry the most tools. On an average BMW Club ride I suspect that using the combined total of everybody's tools, you could manufacture a new bike from bits found on the side of the road... Yet apart from tyres, flat batteries and accidental damage there's very rarely any need for them. :LOL:

:LOL: :LOL:
  16. So if my son carries a lot of tools in his 1972 Alfa Romeo it will make it reliable?.......must tell him....poor deluded fool.
  17. As a former Alfa Romeo owner I can guarantee that it will - right up until the floor of the boot collapses in a pile of rust under the weight of the tools... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Personally I've always found that the best tool kit for an Italian car is to carry an auto-electrician with you... :roll:
  18. That theory works on my '86 model Alfa Romeo. Only time it's ever given me trouble was when I forgot the tool kit (which was in my other car at the time).

19. Absolute proof of the most valid kind, better than mythbusters! :D
  20. I lost a lot of good tools when that happened to my old Citroen D Special. The boot floor rusted, and many of the tools that had collected there dropped out one at a time. It came to my attention when I noticed in my rear-view mirror a rather large ring spanner bouncing down the road. :shock: