Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Too much oil in the tank? Yamaha SZR660

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by kols_kebabs, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Just bought my new bike, a yamaha SZR660, I'm absolutly stoked with it, I can write up a review if anyone's interested.

Anyway, I started it up this morning and decided it was time to check the oil.

Now for those of you who don't know this is a dry sump lubrication engine. If you want to know more check this out: http://www.loply.com/szr660/changeoil

The main thing with a dry sump, as that link explains, is that when the engine is cold you will get oil level readings that are much lower and innaccurate. You need to warm it up first.

So I started it up, went for a blast around the block.
    After I parked I opened the sump plug- and oil came gushing out the top :shock:
    Left a significant pool under my bike- under the clothes line in the Uni accomodation no less, so I'll probally get hassled to clean it up.

I presume what has happened is someone has checked the oil when it was cold, seen a shockingly low level and topped it up. Of course as soon as the engine is started-
    So obviously my crankcase has a lot more oil in it than the bike was designed for. Still, it runs absolutely fine, with no oil burning (although there was a slight leak evident when I absolutely thrashed it- possibly that oil pressure bolt mentioned above?) and startling performance.

I've always read in maintenance info to avoid overfilling the tank, I was just wondering if anyone could illuminate us on the consequences of too much oil in the tank and any bad experiences they have had.

I do know one thing- It beats having too little oil :)