Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Too much front brake

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by jimmyv, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Had my first bounce along the ground last night. Usually I am extremely careful and felt proud that I was going to be one of the minority of riders that never drops their bike.

Turning left onto a road after a traffic light intersection. Traffic just starts to move off, thought I had heaps of time, accelerate while watching the cars at the lights take off. but the car in front of me obviously thought otherwise and had stopped. Panicked hit the front brakes and there I was bike on top of me in the middle of the road.

I am guessing that since I was turning left that I braked with front brake whilst leaning left a little. Had heaps of room to slowly apply brakes but jumped on them way to hard.

Moral of the story dont assume what other drivers will be doing. If you have heaps of room to move, another person may think it not enough and react differently.

Maybe a got a little careless with the front brake prodding away at it and it finally prodded back

2. Happens to the best of us.
    Had my first ever drop after 2.5 years riding.
    Speed was walking pace, intending to stop with bars not straight-ahead I was STUPID enough to apply the front brake :shock:
  3. They say more people come off their bikes at 1 km/h than at 100 km/h. Oggie knobs are your friend, I say. :)

4. There's your first mistake:-s
  5. Don't feel too bad, that's right up there with the most common error in road riding. And it isn't really a case of "too much front brake" as your title suggests. Just too little attention. Learn from it and move on.
  6. Makes you think about speed kills.
  7. Ahh the old 'squeeze front brakes while steering at low speed'. The bike basically trips over the front wheel and topples over opposite to the lean (outwards). Very nearly threw me off my old bike.
  8. It was a good little reminder not to be so rough with the front brakes. Funny thing was that I had heaps of room to stop but just panicked and before I could stop myself the hand was squeezing that brake lever.

Still sore too.

And it was lovely for those people to stop and ask if I was ok.
  9. Just think, on the bright side you didnt do it in front of 40-50 other bike riders...