Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Too many methods of communication today

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by Garfield, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Have just finished particpating in an early Wednesday night family dinner. The after dinner discussion centered around how many methods of communication our family had to deal with. The people around the table included.
    under the age of 10 (3)
    under the age of 20 (3)
    under the age of 30 (1)
    Under the age of 40 (3)
    under the age of 50 (1), but only very just!
    and me, over the age of 50.
    It was the under 20 years brigade that led the discussion......
    They felt, very strongly, that there are too many methods of communication and this leads to a failure in communication.
    What do others think?

2. Hmmmm, maybe.

3. ...at work part of my accountability I have is to put together communication plans for internal and external stakeholder communications... blah. blah!! It has to be VERY structured.

At home I think it's "whatever"....8-[ :p.... unless I have a vested interest in the particular person (partner, family, close friends etc)

If you are referring to technology..I think we need to make sure we use it to OUR advantage. If we WANT to be accessible...all well and good. If we WANT some time out... we need to make sure we do that.... turn off the "puter, turn off the phone.... be incommunicado!! [-(

4. Couldn't agree more Tweets.

I tend to agree that we have so many different/alternate forms of communication that we are collectively losing the ability to communicate directly, face to face.

5. yeh, that was what the under 20's, with support from the under 10's
    were talking about!

6. mobile phone -- just a way for people to know you are not at home and have a life

7. I think it is rather refreshing that they hold this view. Let's hope they grow up controlling their methods of communication rather than the other way around.

Dinner table conversation, hey? Now there's something that seems to have disappeared as a means of communication in most families.

8. I hate mobile phones with a passion, don't have a home phone.. would be happy just to have my roaming email.

9. Meh, under 10s are rent-a-crowd - you can buy their votes for a couple of cookies. Maybe only allow comment from those that actually pay the respective bills...(rules out most under 20s, too :bolt: )

10. +1

I think the quality of life was better before it.