Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

too many kms???

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by spaced, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of buying my partner a gs500 for her to get her Ls on and it just so happens that a friend is selling her gs500 at the same time.

The trouble is, it is a 1993 model and has done 72 000kms.

I intend to have a look at it tomorrow and go through the service records.

My question is, what kind of things will be wearing out by this stage and should have been replaced (beyond the obvious tyres, chain, sprocket etc)?

My other concern is the price she is asking for the bike - somewhere between $2-2500. Given that the bike is now 14 years old and that near-new gs500s can be bought for around the $5k mark, is this price excessive?

Any opinions gratefully accepted.

2. Unless 66,000 of those kms was logged up in one round-Australia trip with every possible variation, and the rest of the bike looks like it hasn't been loved, I wouldn't worry :).
  3. How much rego? $700 or so to rego a 500, so price is great if it has rego. Without it should be $2000 or less, depending on condition.

New GS500's cost more like $8000.
  4. it also depends what km you intend to put on it, if it just to learn on and you wont be doing massive km, then the km isnt a problem. My bike has almost 90000km on it and my mechanic thinks it should be able to do another 90000 before it has major problems.,

get it checked out, the price seems ok if the condition is good
  5. Any bike with that sort of km needs a good going over, the problem is that even though learner approved bikes are not typically 250CC anymore, the 250's still seem to demand alot of $$, even with high km, and 10+ years old.
    Take a look at the CBR250R/RR's floating about, most are not Aussie models, some as old as 89, and still get $3000 for them. Aussie models another $1000 on top.

If you only want it for a short time to learn on, then if apparently in good condition, it may not be a bad buy, if you want to tour on it, or keep it for the learner/provisional period, then it could prove expensive. Bear in mind, it will not be an easy bike to sell when the time comes, so factor that in if it will need new rego while you will own it.

Check for smoke, cam chain rattle, undersize brake discs (if a rego inspection required and you have undersized discs these can ve very expensive), tyres, oil leakes or any rattles, unusual noises.
    All of these things cost money, and on an old cheap dunger, can make repairing it not worthwhile money wise.