Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Too many Km for a bike?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by lukestuart1, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Hey guys.

Looking at getting my first bike and i am currently looking at a GS500/F
    A bike shop has just rung me up saying that a GS500F has just come in, and is 2-3 years old, but has 45,000km on it.

Is 45,000Km too many firstly for a 500cc bike, and secondly for a bike that is only 2-3 years old?

Cheers

2. How much do they want?

Bike shops are fkn criminal.

And I bet its over priced.

3. They want $4500, so the price actually isnt that bad.

I first thought bike shops rip off aswell, but this is actually on par with private sales that i have seen

4. 45,000 km on a Suzuki four stroke is barely run in. As long as it's been serviced by the book and is decent cosmetically there's no reason why it shouldn't have another 150,000 kms in it.

My own DR650 has 30,000 km on it and still rides like a new bike. In a year's time it will be well past 45,000 and I'd expect that it will still ride like a new bike. It'll be a heap of crap cosmetically, but as I intend to ride it 'til it dies I don't care much about resale so that's all right.

5. From memory my GS was a 2003 with around 45k on the clock, I sold it in 2007 for $4600. Of course do your proper mech and revs checks and see if there is a complete or at least partial service history for it, but otherwise I wouldn't be overly concerned.

6. All things being equal it should be ok but its in the range where things may need freshening up. Have a close look and even ask the shop to replace the wheel bearings as they're cheap. Brake disks will need to be checked as part of the RWC but if they're on the limit chuck them too. It will be time for fresh fork oil and a good look at the suspension in general. The chain & sprockets would have been replaced so they should be ok. Engine, clutch and gearbox all should be fine if its been looked after and serviced close to the recommended intervals.

7. I just went and checked out the bike.
    was in pretty good condition BUT it was an 04 model, and i think i can get a later model for $4500.

Cheers for the help guys

8. Ditto.. dont be put off by a less than shiny appearance. Look for a private sale bike with a documented service history.

9. I have put up 30k per year,just riding to work and lots of short weekend blats.
    45K over a few years is hardly heavy use for modern jap ..or european motors. My GS just clocked over 10,000 on wednesday,I bought her in the beginning of April.
    Buy the freshest one by year and as already posted above have the running gear and fluids looked at.
    The GS series is no highly tuned hypersports engine,they are old school simple engines,but they are fairly well bullet proof lil' sluggers.

10. Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

thats what i get when i Clicked the link ](*,)

11.  Top
  12. Bought my gs500f new last december, clocked 24000K.
    Incl trip to Sydney and back via coast, far riders ride, snowy ride and many full day rides.
    First couple of services by dealer at right intervals.
    Since then, done my own oil and filters every 3-4000K (sh&tload cheaper)
    Runs like a charm and feels like it's only just run in.

so key is if it's been regularly maintained, should be a good bike for what it is.

good luck with whatever you buy.

13.  Top
  14. Just about to do a 36,000 service on my K9 - bought new. Does not use or leak oil. Changed the sprockets/chain at 24k service as well as rear tyre, front tyre at 30k service.

Ridding buddy has 45k on his GS and it still sounds sweet and goes well. I know of some people overseas with over 100,000 miles on their GS's.

But I'd think you could find a GS with fewer clicks for the same price. Personally, the year model isn't That big a deal to me. It's the clicks I am interested in cause I don't give a shit about resale. Why should an 08 with 15k clicks be worth any more than an 07 with 15k clicks - all things being equal? Same bike, same clicks, just a year difference on the compliance plate.

Of course, with the GS you'd want anything 2001 and up cause that's when they went to a 3 jet carb instead of the 2 jet carb. And also when they went to the 20 litre tank.

Also, things would depend on the Amount of riding you will be doing. While I don't do as much as some, 36k for a bike not even 18 months old is a far amount. At that rate I'd be at 70,000+ in less than three years. But I want to keep the bike longer than three years (the GS is such a sweet bike). So I can either, ride it until it dies - or - get a 2nd bike so one stays as my commuter (GS) and the other as my weekender. With two bikes to share the load I shouldn't need to replace either bike for a lo-o-o-ong time.

So when I look at clicks, I see "years of riding". A bike with 15k vs one with 30k means to me (as far as a 2nd bike goes), the bike with 30k will give me one year less of riding (based on 15k a year on each bike).

While a higher click bike isn't an issue, for me it would soon become one. So my rule of thumb is, 20k max. And there's plenty of bikes around with under 20k clicks on them. But if you only want the bike for a year or so and don't pan on too many clicks, than just about any number will be fine for you. Biggest thing will be knowing if the bike has been maintained. The more clicks will generally mean more owners, and less chance of being properly maintained.

Michael

15. My Buell has 64000 kms on it and it is only 4 years old.

Of course it is American made not Japanese. 8-[

Seriously though I don't think the kms should worry if you can get the right price.