Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Too Fast? Riding at visual stopping speed.

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by ajrider, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Looking for opinions...

One thing I've been told is that you should always ride at a speed where you can stop within your visual distance.

Now not wanting to get sidetracked about the foolishness of the driver in the SVU on the wrong side of the road on a blind corner, nor the good reaction from the rider (I thought he did a great job) - but moreso on opinions as to whether on corners like this the rider should have been riding slower at a pace where he could have stop when he saw the danger if the SUV was right in the middle of his lane.

It may not have been a SUV 1/2 on the road, it could have been a multi car pileup, a rockslide, etc.

- Would you have been riding slower on that blind corner?

- Do you always try to ride within a speed that you can stop within visual range on blind corners?

- Do you think that the rider was riding at a speed where he could stop with his visual distance?

(Just looking for opinions so I can relate and try and improve my own riding).

2. He was hugging the inside of the corner, that made his vision around the corner limited.

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. 0) unlikely to be anything but a SUV. It was a sunny day and I doubt it was is first run of the road that day.

1) yes, I have a slow bike and I'm not very good. I would have tipped in a lot later though.

2) no

3) no, that is why he swerved instead of pulling a sick stoppie and berating the driver

ps great sound on the clip

4. To be able to stop in any distance you'd have to take corners at a walking pace. Then you'd get assraped by the guy behind you coming around the corner at not walking pace.

All he needed to do was avoid, there was no need to stop. He avoided. I have little doubt that if he needed to, he could have gone into the other lane.

1. I probably would have been riding a bit slower, but not out of a sense of needing to stop.
    2. No.
    3. No.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. He was riding on the wrong side of the road ;)

As others have said by being wider he would have increased his visual range.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. https://netrider.net.au/threads/nz-ex-officer-told-to-pay-60-000.103065/

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Not sure why these guys bothered being the chase car if this is their idea of great camera work. But anyway here is the other POV from the idiots in the Toyota.

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. Good find bj. What the fcuk were they thinking? You'd have thought that that isn't the first time they've 'boarded down that road - and therefore have a pretty good understanding of a) the road, and b) the types of vehicles that travel on it because of a)

Morons.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Yes, particularly with a vehicle approaching from the opposite direction as you have the combined closing speed.

braking.

10. What wankers - and they don't even seem overly concerned about it!!!!!!

Must be in California - you know, like - whatever dude...

• Agree Agree x 1

11. LOL re wrong side of the road.

So... I guess this is potentially a good example of why it's better to stay wide, and turn late on public roads. (As opposed to taking a race line)

I wonder if this is the general consensus with most riders? The question because I find not all corners are blind, or inside corners. At this point in my riding I tend to take inside blind corners slower so I can pull up in time, but other corners more swiftly. Sounds like I'm more alone in this.
    Am I taking to the books too literally? :)

(I also find that when I stay wider longer it allows me to keep my speed up whilst still riding at a pace I believe I can stop in visually).

12. I have no problems with inside line in general, but you've got to watch your whole body/bike postion, not just your wheel track. I've been driving my car on twisties and well on my own side of the road when bikers have come whizzing around blind corners leaning well over the centre line. Its unnerving as hell as a driver, and potentially not a good result for the rider should any contact occur (or even if rider has to adjust line fast in mid corner and goes off wide).

Best to ride within your own means I guess.

13. Exactly.

I think most overestimate their braking ability.

Take whatever line you want through corners, cover your brakes, <insert some other one-liner advice here>, and I bet I can still think of a billion ways you can get caught out. If that bothers you then maybe you haven't understood the inherent risks of motorcycling.

I don't know anyone personally that rides in the hills at 10-20% of their abilities just to be safe. If you want to go around corners and be absolutely safe then maybe a playstation is what you should get. Everyone sets their own risk to fun ratio. You can't and shouldn't try to eliminate one for the other.

:D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. You could ride at 10% and come to complete stop, only for the vehicle on the wrong side of the road to still clean you up.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Agree with the comments above. Whilst all care is taken its pretty hard to prepare yourself for a car coming the opposite way, on your side of the road.

The brake within your range of view lesson is normally for road hazards, trees , broken down cars, washed out road etc not oncoming traffic moving towards you.

Based on bike, rider experience & skill, this variable would be different for everyone.

Very fortunate indeed on that occasion.

16. OK, so the whole ride at a speed you can pull up in then is really a myth, or something that's said in books and lessons because it's politically correct, but pretty much ignored afterwards? :)

17. #17 oldcorollas, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
    there are a couple of bunches of idiots that do this on my local hill.. usually have 2 cars, often one in each lane..

one group are the long boarders... and the other are on those huffy slider/green machine things with PVC pipe on the back wheels...
    they're pretty arrogant and sometimes just try and block all traffic.. middle of the day.. while lots of bikes and cars are using the road as well

18. Holy moly what d!psh!ts!!!! :-O

19. Lets call it aspirational, two vehicles approaching at 100k each means you need about 150m visibility. Not always possible.

20. Is that in order to come to a complete stop before the car runs into you?