Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Too fast, but cops escape the fine

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by undii, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Checking news sites, I came upon this. Did a search and can't see it here already so I apologize if I made a re-post.

People care to comment? I put it here as I daresay speeding/police/fines etc do relate to bikes and the law aspect of them :)

From http://www.theage.com.au/news/natio...escape-the-fine/2007/04/07/1175366538234.html

*edit* I've bold'ed some interesting lines myself. Also learnt a new word today, recidivist. Thought it was a typo until I googled it. :oops: to say I didn't know what it meant.

2. Which one is it? Will be let off with a warning under 10 km/h is a lot different to could.
  3. Law for them, law for us, deal with, it will always be the case ;)
  4. I live up the road from a motorbike cop that I have followed at 90kmh into a 40kmh school zone!

I wanna see a Police pursuit car seized under hoon laws :LOL:
  5. So what about the 'dozen' who were travelling more than 10km/h above the limit? That's still 1 in 11, or 4 times more likely to be let off - regardless of being aware of the warning deal.

Care to explain that one, Mr full-of-shit Ashby?
  6. What do you do for a job and what are the perks? Do you get discounts on stuff?
  7. I think he's trying to say everyone gets some sort of perks in their professions, waiters - free food sometimes, business - trade price stuff, cops - get let off by other cops for speeding.

As if cops are ever going to book their mates. It would be like a netrider dobbing in another netrider for speeding or popping a mono.

As Vic said "Law for them, law for us, deal with, it will always be the case"
  8. OIC..

Well that makes sense.. now :oops: :grin:

Thats one of MANY perks they get.

9. Somebody not get enough sleep last night? :LOL: I can't say much, doped up to my eyeballs with pain meds and still only got 4 hrs sleep at maximum. Hopefully that means I can actually get sleep tonight and be awake for my (new) first physio appointment 10AM tomorrow. I better make sure I don't speed whilst walking to physio or I might get booked seeing I'm not a copper ;)
  10. What else, pray tell, do they get?
  11. Free Macca's!!

Explains the figure on those senior sergeants now doesn't it :LOL:
  12. <<<Under Victorian law, police are lawfully permitted to speed to emergencies. >>>

Incorrect. Another article NOT investigated properly.

305. Exemption for drivers of police vehicles
    A provision of the Road Rules does not apply to the driver of a police vehicle
    in the circumstances—
    the driver is taking reasonable care; and
    it is reasonable that the provision should not apply; and
    if the vehicle is a motor vehicle that is moving—the vehicle is displaying
    a blue or red flashing light or sounding an alarm.
    Motor vehicle is defined in the Road Safety Act 1986, and police vehicle is defined
    in the dictionary.
    Subrule (1)(b) does not apply to the driver if, in the circumstances, it is
    not to display the light or sound the alarm; or
    for the vehicle not to be fitte
  13. So the cop needs to be careful and have a reason for speeding, and not because he's late for dinner sort of reason. That doesn't give them freedom to do what they want, book their #ss and take their car under hoon laws like they would to me! :evil:
  14. In NSW, it's not a ticket offence, it's a straight-to-court and internal arse kicking offence.
  15. So if you follow a cop who is speeding complain to internal affairs, they don't call em the toe cutters for nothing.

A cop once lost control of his very new car and totalled it, lost his vic pol lic virtually on the spot. Wasn't till they found that the tranny had dropped backed to first going around a bend done a compression lock up which caused the accident that he was cleared.
  16. However, the "Perks" that most others get like discounts dont compare to the cops being let off for speeding.

Regardless of who they are, it is illegal for everyone else, they shouldn't be exempt. If anyhting, they should be setting the example. Bit hard for htem to tell us not to, then as they leave the safe driving seminar to be caught speeding. Bit hypocritical.