Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Too early to "Upsize"?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Yowie Boy, Feb 10, 2008.

1. I've been wanting to ride for more than 15 years and finally got on two wheels late last year. I'm learning on a GS500 and, while I realise that the bike's abilities far outweigh my own, I'm keen to move on to my dream bike.
    I'm wondering just how long I should wait before I "upsize" the GS.
    There are a few different types of bikes out there which are truly works of art IMO and I want one in my garage!
    Is there any good reason why a sensible learner can't continue his (post-L's) education on something a little more exotic? I'm thinking of a 750 Brutale or a Superduke.

2. I recommend sticking with the GS, ride the absolute shit out of it, then upgrade when you are absolutely sure you are ready
  3. good choices for next bike though....

....though don't let us decide how you spend your hard-earned.
  4. good choices for next bike though....

....though don't let us decide how you spend your hard-earned.
  5. You'll know it's time to step up when you're out-stripping the engine, brakes, suspension etc of the existing bike. Lust is not a good reason to upgrade, even though in your situation, you can.

Then again, as above, don't let me tell you how to spend your money; a Superduke would be wasted on me, but if I had the cash....... :) :).
  6. The gs is basically purpose built for learners, it is very easy to ride, and very forgiving. The bikes you mention have much more power, and will be far less forgiving if you make even the slightest error. You need to be able to ride the gs without any thought or effort before considering the bigger bikes, even though you may be older and wiser, it may just pay to hold onto the gs for a while yet. The higher skills you learn as a rider take a little time to master.
    Good luck. :wink:
  7. If you are confident in your handling skills at the moment (eg. your not going around dropping the thing). Then owning any bike is your choice and limited by your budget.

At the end of the day, many 'people' on here get annoyed when others buy bikes outside their price range and reach. Adding to this is when someone with less riding experience does so.

As long as you are licenced, have insurance and ride to your limits (not the bikes as many here seem to think the standard for upgrading should be), you should own whatever you want.

At the end of the day, being gentle with a Ducati 1098 will produce no more danger than belting a GS500.

If you are sensible and enjoy the joy of owning a nice toy, go for it mate.
  8. Have a read of this... You will then know my opinion.. :grin:

The upgrade
  9. Personally, and this is my personal opinion, get the winter out of the way on the GS, then go for it in the new year.

The last thing I'd want to do i drop one of the bikes you've just mentioned on wet leafy roads in winter, just when a little bit more experience might have meant the difference.

But at the end of the day, it's your money and you take you own choice.
  10. I appreciate all the replies and see the sense in all of them. I think it's perfectly reasonable to advise me to wait until I've been able to get more out of the gs BUT I also wonder if it's not just as reasonable to want to ride a more powerful bike with respect for it's potential.
    I've pushed the GS pretty hard at times and it's taken me past what is responsible for ANY road user, experienced or not. Save that sort of stuff for the track, I reckon. I still get a huge thrill out of just plodding along at the speed limit, so what difference does it make which bike you are on while doing that? Is it that important to be able to match your experience with the potential of the bike?
    I don't mean to argue, I did ask for people's opinions after all. I should have directed the question more to get people's stories on riding larger or more exotic machinery early in their riding careers.
    Again, I appreciate the feed-back and hope to read more and (of course) have a good try of any bike I seriously consider.
  11. I didn't *have* to upgrade to the VFR, nor was I pushing the CBR600 I had to its limits.

But I'm damn glad I did :wink:
  12. Depends on how confident you are. If you believe you are confident to handle a bike with more power then go for it. I guess learners don't learn on 1000cc sports bike because they can get into trouble very quickly but if you have learnt and respect the dangers of riding you should be fine.
  13. Upgrade! You can be a sensible rider on that and do it all in "style"!
  14. You will never know when it's ready to upgrade until you finally do in my opinion. I've not yet upgraded my bike, but I have upgraded cars. From a lousy Hyundai Getz to a 320bhp/350nm BMW. I thought I would kill myself on the first drive but found it's just a matter of sensibility.

While I think a growing maturity had a lot to do with it, I also found I only had to push the BMW 20% of the way to get the same results I would get pushing the Hyundai 110%. Despite being a more powerful car, the better performance also meant greater control of the thing. So I've actually had less scary moments and hair raisers in my new little weapon than I've had in the little shitty Korean bread box. On the flip side however, I know within my skill range I'll never be able to push the BMW to 110% and if I do I will surely be dead. So as I said before - I'm pretty sure the kick in the pants I got when I started to take responsibility for my actions had a lot to do with my ability to handle the upgrade. If I were still doing some of the things I used to do in my Getz that I now do in the BMW I would be history.

Hope that made some sense!
  15. Ride the bike that gives you the most fun and enjoyment ...

Riding a bike confidently at 90% can be alot more fun than falling asleep riding a more "powerful" bike at 50% ...

16. Theres some valid points in there taiheung. Having upgraded from a 250 to a 650, I'm finding it just feels alot safer. Better brakes, more confident handling, instant grunt on hand for traffic carving. That said, if you CAN be sensible having a big bike but not using its grunt, go with whatever. But I know it doesn't matter how many cc my bike had, I'd still try to push its power - call it a lack of constraint but when you get into it, too hard to resist!
  17. OP is 34, he is mature and sensible enough to show restraint with the larger bike, and is no longer bulletproof.
    If you feel confident enough in your riding (and you will know if you are) I say buy what you like mate!

Regards, Andrew.
  18. I say buy whatever bike you like. It's not a matter of if you can handle it because you can ride the GS so another bike is going to be pretty much the same to ride. Power means little really.

I also know someone selling a 2004 750 brutale in townsville if you are interested in a long distance sale. Good price and absolutely perfect condition. A few extras like exhaust and power commander, aftermarket mirrors. PM me if you are interested.
  19. When I wrote this post I was actually hoping that I would get a lot of replies to the effect of "..Yeah, I rode a busa right off my P's what you need to remember is......".
    I guess there's no 'one way' to do anything, including pick your next bike.
    Thanks guys, the advice has got me thinking which is the reason I put it out there.
    Maybe I can ride the GS to Townsville learning everything I need to know on the way, finally ride the bike to it's full potential, arriving in a 'zen-like' state of comfort with my decision to purchase Woodsy's mate's Brutale, and just dump the used up GS in a heap.
  20. If that's what you're after, a mate of mine bought a GSXR1000 before he even got off of his Ps. We rode around plenty of times, I think he low sided once in wet weather. Other than that, if I had to say what has kept him alive so far (and it can't be his experience) it would be his respect of the throttle. So there's your "what you need to remember" comment.

I once asked my mechanic if I was at risk of damaging my car's engine after a really big weekend hammering it around a track and he came back saying not to worry about the car's limits because I will have well and truely overshot my own before I ever did the car's. Wise words!