Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

TOM TOM GPS sells your data to the highest bidder

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by smee, May 6, 2011.

1. I don't see a privacy issue at all. The data is aggrigated. There is no way to identify individual units or even individual people.
    I see it as no more of a privacy breach than the people who sit on the side of the road and manually plot traffic trends.
  2. I suppose the thing of interest for lawbreaking motorcycle riders is that over time there'll be data amassed which points out which long boring straights of Remote Twisty Road #17 people break the double-tonne on and, from that, potentially a shiny new speed camera on said long stretch to make things less boring. ;)
  3. its called IQ routes and is a feature - it uses actual measured travel time done by others to make everything more accurate when you plan a route using a tomtom gps (based on the time of the day etc)

Guess they are just selling the details about traveltimes during differnt hours and roads really - no big deal considering theres no personally identifiable information anyway. And if you dont want to use it on your tomtom, simply choose "shortest route" verses the standard "fastest route" (which uses IQ routes)