Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Tolerance..

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' at netrider.net.au started by InvalidUser, Oct 19, 2014.

1. So yesterday on my way to work, I was just cruising along the Cumberland highway in the middle lane minding my own business focusing on my riding. Mind you this is one of the first times I've been on a proper highway since I've gotten back on the bike (currently on my Ls). When Out of the corner of my eye I notice the car that's just to the left begin to merge (quite a bright red I should of noticed earlier). I automatically floated towards the right of my lane and backed off to let them in whilst shaking my own head in annoyance (this could of gone wrong pretty quickly as I was by this point right next to a car to my right and a large ute in front). Then suddenly I realize the driver actually saw me and stopped the merge and quickly returned to the her original lane. Meanwhile I'm planning to ride up and give her the dirtiest look I can muster. Just as a reach her driver side window, deathly gaze all set and ready I see her wind down her window and yell out.. "I'M SO SORRY!!" The sheer look on her pale face told me she really genuinely felt bad about not seeing me.
    Almost feeling puzzled that a cager would apologize I realized; I myself had begun stereotyping cars as "the enemy"; in what is likely the same way cars stereotype buses as road hogs and trucks as dangerous drivers. In this split moment I realized no one really sets out to be a "dick" and sometimes accidents just happen, regardless of fault. From this single experience I thought to myself tolerance (in any aspect of life really) is so important and blaming and stereotyping really doesn't help anyone (especially when you ride because you're the one who usually ends up in hospital). Instead of just blaming the driver I thought to myself; what could I have done to prevent this, I must of been in her blind spot for her not to of seen me in the first place. Perhaps I can be more careful next time and to make sure I keep staying alert whenever I use the road not just when riding (my regular commute is a car after all). I realized the road is there to share and things will always go a lot more smoothly if we respect other road users and take things just a little easier. After all everyone has bad days and we're only human. No one really knows what someone else might be going through. Perhaps that cager racing through traffic is trying to reach their dying parent or that huge semi is just trying to meet deadlines to support his family. Nevertheless we're all stuck on this planet together and tolerance might not be the key but it's a damn good start.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Admittedly, this is what I thought when I read the first paragraph.
    I watched once as a rider in front of me had a very similar scenario (being merged into, and then the car suddenly merged back, and s/he sped-up for a stare or abuse) only to find the reason the car suddenly merged back was because the car and boat in the other lane across had indicated, and as the rider sped up the car/boat merged and trapped him between the original car and the boat.

3. Agreed. I'm always trying to stay aware of being in ppls blind spot. Never forgotten the golden rule from my Leaners course: 'ride as if nobody can see u'...except the damn coppers of course!!

4. sorry but I have lost my tolerance of drivers, especially women in 4 wheel drives, as of yesterday and I was only a pillion!

5. I stay zen on the bike. I had one or two incidents early on when I started riding where I gave a disproportionate amount of attention to someone who (I thought) had been a dick or had wronged me, and then nearly ran up the arse of someone else or something equally stupid.

Blind spots, people not seeing us, are a fact of life on two wheels, keeping your wits about you and keeping spacial awareness means these things become non-events. Sure, 'profile' other vehicles for risk assessment, but my take is being intolerant is going to cause more problems than it solves.

6. Hi Invalid,
    I totally agree with the concept that there are mainly nice people out there that make mistakes. However there are definitely some out there that for one reason or another really do want to be dicks.

Just my 2cents

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Just yesterday, I filtered to the front at lights and had a Falcon on my right. (Suburban 60 zone). So far so good.

Lights turn green and we take off, except it's suddenly become an impromptu drag race. I only just made it in front of the car and started thinking that perhaps I was in the wrong and should have backed off instead. Thought seriously about pulling up next to the female driver at the next traffic lights and admitting fault, but she was intent on tailgating me so I changed my mind about the apology and focused my energy on riding defensively instead.

She took a side street 2k's later without further incident, but left me questioning the merits of filtering. I'm left a bit rattled, to be honest.

Any suggestions, helpful hints? How can I do better next time?

8. @Mick M@Mick M - Sometimes you need to pick your mark. You'll get to know the signs of the driver who doesn't want 'that bloody bike cutting in on them'. They can go just as fast as we can and will try.
    The ones that creep forward, or park over the white line so that you can't get in front.
    They'll be there at every 10th or 20th set of lights. Let them go until you can find a safe place to get by them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Drag racing is a Sport, everyone does it now and again, you either play or not, no big deal.

10. Heh. A suby XV, one of them big things, kept trying to race me, kept losing and doing the losers fly by. Idiot.

11. I sometimes wonder what other road users are thinking. This morning on my way to work a woman in a Corrolla is sitting in the right turn lane with a green arrow allowing her to turn, but she just sits there, no awareness that she should be making her turn. Last Friday night out on the bike, I pull up and stop at a stop sign. Get blasted by two squids on bikes for stopping. Hello, Stop means Stop. If you roll through a stop sign, car, bike or whatever, and get caught it's 3 points and $293 fine. I'd rather be cautious and keep the money for another track day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. I suppose there are idiots everywhere and sometimes we happen to run across them.
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I feel better now.(y)

13. Mate, the idiots are those actively trying to take bikers out. This was just a rev head that had a bad hair day. Dem V8s are quick off the mark!

14. I guess what i'm basically trying to say is - don't look for trouble; if things happen, deal with it to the best of your own ability... and also don't just assume the worst in people... you never know what they might be going through.
    Now; without sounding rude; regardless of what you take from this thread I just thought I'd add my 2 cents and maybe this might change someone's outlook for the better. One can really only do their best especially when our choice to ride makes us the more vulnerable party in traffic incidents.
    Being a d*ck doesn't help anyone, being nice might; including yourself.
    I always cringe when I hear another bike related accident on the road.
    I'm just trying to learn to let things go, life's too short.

• Like Like x 1