Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

To warm up, or not....

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by 16S1000R, Jul 12, 2016.

1. I always thought it was a good idea to start the bike before riding and let it warm up for a few minutes before setting off.

On the BMW I'd wait until it got to 50 degrees on the guages.

Now I've been told that it's a waste of time and could actually be doing more harm than good!

What do you do? Is it more a modern bike thing?
  2. My preference is to start it up before final gear up of zipping jacket, inserting ear plugs, helmet and gloves (left hand first of coarse ;)), by that time temp has come up and auto choke is close to being off.
    I would be interested to hear if this is doing harm but for the life of me can't think why it would.
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Oil pressure...
    • Agree Agree x 4
  4. My bike will stall if not given a chance to warm up. Use same procedure as Andrew WestAndrew West seems to work fine
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Long idle time takes longer to warm up then gentle riding . I agree , start up , finish getting yourself ready and go .
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. The DR has an old school choke (well it's an air cooled carby engine) but the Strom is all EFI. I generally start both bikes up just before I slip on my helmet and gloves. That gives ample time for oil to start flowing and a bit of warmth, but gentle riding for the first few minutes like ozzyalozzyal said is better.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  7. Not sure I follow the logic there, aren't you just going to have to switch one of them off before you go?
    • Funny Funny x 11
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. I love the smell of the fumes in the morning! ;)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Just start it and give it long enough to get the oil up into the head(s). That's ten seconds, tops, before moving off. Then just ride it easy for a few minutes to warm up. It will warm the bike up faster.
    Faster warm up means less fuel wasted. Running on an enriched mixture longer than necessary is bad for several reasons. The excess fuel washes the oil film off the bores and accelerates wear while some of that excess fuel ends up in your sump and dilutes your oil. If you don't get the oil hot enough (something that won't happen just sitting there idling for several minutes) that unburnt fuel builds up in the oil.
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 3
  10. I generally start up a couple of minutes before I leave,, interestingly enough I have never had to use the choke on start up, so I just start it up, move it out of the garage and lock the door, put on jacket, helmet and gloves and off I go.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. That's less true of large air-cooled engines than it is of modern liquid cooled engines.

If you've sat next to a large air-cooled V-Twin motor that's sitting stationary then you'd be very familiar with the roasting sensation that soon happens :)

Having said that I don't believe an extended idle period is a good idea either, just long enough to feel some warmth to the touch on the fins is plenty (generally a minute or so).
  12. The header pipes and heads heat up pretty quick, yes. The oil takes a lot longer than the few minutes people tend to "warm up" an engine. After two minutes, your oil is still cold. For oil "cold" is less than 60C, and then it's only just "warm", below that it's not boiling off unburnt fuel or evaporating the condensed water that turns your sight glass milky. Most of my bikes over the years have been air cooled, from a single to fours and a large twin, plus a few water cooled twins. No particular brand or style of engine is special here. Leaving your bike idling in the driveway just wears it out faster, and blipping the throttle to try and warm it up just makes it worse as well as making the neighbours think you're a wanker.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Just start her up, jacket, helmet, glasses and gloves on and off I go, by the time I'm out of my 300mt drive it's all good to go.
    Use to ride 2 stroke dirt bikes, different story with them
  14. Washing the oil off the bores isn't really a problem there, especially with the old pre-mix machines.
  15. According to my aftermarket oil temperature gauge my oil is normally under 5C before start (it's cold around here), within 1 minute of idling it's showing 45C but it takes 5 minutes to reach 60C.

Yes under 60C is 'cold' for oil but 5C is outside the recommended usage range, 1 minute isn't enough to create significant wear but it is enough to bring the oil within the quoted operating temperature range.

Besides, if I start the bike, then put on my jacket, gloves, helmet, unlock the locks and remove then I've used up a minute anyway.
  16. Short amount of idle when starting from dead cold, and I won't rev the hell out of the bike unti ltemp is up a bit on the dash.
  17. Sometimes a bike has a good reason to not warm up on the stand. for example my SuzukI Cabbage. If it's left idling on the sidestand, the RH side cam lobe oilbath drains out, making that lobe run dry. Lots of cases of cams in Savages being destroyed by that, and also idling too slowly to pump oil to the top end.
    I'm in the start it up, let it warm while I get the gear on then ride off gently camp.
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. My bike has carbies and a choke so I'm with the warm up group while I put my helmet and gloves on and by then I can get rid of the choke and ride off gently at first. I think the arguments are the same with cars, warm up is nice but the oil pressure is low at idle and probably not getting oil everywhere it needs to?
  19. My car is fuel injected and manual advises to drive it imediately but normal driving til it warms up (no heavy acceleration). My bike uses good old carbies and they don't have as many sensors and control over fuel delivery as FI. The manual recommends a short warm up or it does stall (always at the most in-opportune moment). Riding rather than idling does warm things better but it has to be ride-able first.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. This information from a mechanical engineer. If you have ridden (or driven a car) for more than 20 min and full normal temperature, then any fuel from enriched mixture from a cold start will have evaporated and your oil is back to normal. The only times oil gets diluted is from frequent cold starts and short run cycles.
    • Informative Informative x 1