Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

To video log or not?.......that is the question

Discussion in 'Video Logging' at netrider.net.au started by Barters81, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Hi all......just looking for the opinion of people out there who are video loggers and/or those who tried to and but didn't see the value or just dropped it after a while.

My story: I've been riding now since the start of the year, recently started commuting to the Brisbane CBD 5 days a week rain hail or shine. I feel as though I want to take some video of rides, but getting a feeling that it could all be a big waste of time and money. So....with that in mind, please answer the following questions if you may.

1.) Do you actively Video log you rides?
    2.) If yes to 1, when and what do you record?
    3.) What camera do you use and why?
    4.) What video editing software do you use and why?
    5.) Any advice or things you'd do differently?

Personally I'm thinking of buying 2 pretty average cameras ($100 each) to have a forward and rear facing shot for a ride, rather than splashing on a $300 camera.

2. I'd probably buy one camera, record a week, cut it up and watch it myself and see if I enjoy it. Maybe just externalising my internal dialogue more instead of being the silent type. Go through the motovloggers you like and work out what you like about them, and see if you can match that.

There's a few different approaches:
    • RoyalJordanian style with his daily whatevers, just snippets of semi interesting stuff he sees. Probably pretty rare to get good footage
    • BaronVonGrumble style, where it's probably mostly about his ranting than the actual riding / road. The road just prompts a rant
    • Walteriffic style where he just rides around fcuking around and chases after things that look amusing
    • The postie guy style. Quit job, become postie, feed dogs
    I think commute videos would be boring as batshit. You either cut it up to just show off the interesting bits "look at this **** almost ramming me", or talk over it if you're interesting enough. The actual ride itself wouldn't be interesting.. same road every video.

Sorry, no answers to the questions, as I don't have any experience.
    I want a camera myself, more for going back and looking at something that happened and bothered me. Figure if I got enough footage I might put the "bits and peaces" stuff somewhere but can't imagine I'd be interesting enough to release videos even monthly.

EDIT: So general answer I was going for is: I wouldn't buy a camera with the sole purpose to vlog, I'd go cheap for my own watching sake (so cost is fine even if noone watches). If I found myself interesting I'd upload it somewhere and dump more cash into it as (if) it got popular.

3. What do you intend to achieve?
    What makes your videos different?

Your riding is of interest to you and maybe an instructor but there is a plethora of similar videos on the web. The term Videologging tends to indicate you will be posting it in a Blog type structure. This will lay it open to criticism, some will be from kind meaning people with valid and constructive criticism. Some will be trolls whose only ambition is the stoking of their own ego. Do you have a thick skin and the ability to ignore the nay sayers?

If you believe you have a particular angle that is different, a way of presenting riding that will amuse, entertain or inform then go for it. If it is for your own consumption again go for it. If you have nothing different than the crowd what is the purpose? So take a hard think and then do what you think is best.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I think video logging to protect oneself in the event of an incident where one is not at fault is an excellent idea for most people but probably not if you're in the habit of travelling at above lawful speed.

As for videoing ones riding just for blogging or similar it'd need to be something special to attract viewers and most people (me included) are just average.

5. Here's the tip:

Vlogging IS a big waste of time and money! haha

Do it for the love of it, if anything else comes of it, that's just a bonus :D

I've done youtube videos for a while and I've just started vlogging. Not much has come my way apart from meeting a whole bunch of new people :)

I dont do the street vlogging thing though, I go out to events or track days etc and do some voice over. Creating pretty footage is sort of how I started, voice over's and mono logs are new to me.

Use a Gopro Hero 3, a old school indie favorite, the Cannon Vixia/HV30 with a Rode video mic and a Zoom H1.

Haven't had the best relationship with the Gopro, but it's a proven (but flawed) design, and a well established brand. Meaning there's lots of mounting options and accessories and I can buy these locally anywhere.

The Cannon is pretty rare these days, it's like nearly 10 years old. Uses DV tapes but takes a wicked picture in 1080p, has manual controls for exposure, sound, focus and aperture. Also has the all important mic in. Been using the Zoom H1 for any dialogue and syncing it in post. It's ultra portable and simple to use but is super susceptible to wind and handling noise. Really need a lapel mic to attach to it which is what most vloggers use to pick up dialogue from within their helmet.

I use Sony Vegas, kinda the first pro software I gelled with. Windows movie maker is really good to start out with!

Some tips: Dont recommend getting cheap cameras, you'll just need to replace them as they'll become obsolete. Should be able to sell a Gopro quite easily and they kinda hold their value.

You need to spend a lot of time to make decent content and you need a lot of new content to really build an audience.

6. I record all my trips, mostly just for insurance and to record fools.
    Made a few vlogs to start off with however lost interest and only post up noteworthy encounters onto youtube every few weeks.

Main camera is a $200 ghost drift HD, drift microphone (very impressed with it), 16GB card and a couple of generic batteries for it on long trips.
    Second is a gopro clone used very occasionally for stills. Definitely get an internal mic.

Use to have this cylinder like action camera on the back however it was rarely used due to not been able to format it on the device itself, it eventually got hit off by a blind bat on the motorway. Still in my pack from 6 months ago and works though.

I edit with sony vegas, lots of powerful features that movie maker and more stable than cyberlink powerdirector. Still learning how to use it.

Things I'd do differently: Buy the 4TB HDD instead of 2TB!

7. there is already enough bike vloggers out there

8. Thanks for the replies guys.

I should clarify that I created this thread as a general discussion point for anyone's reason they might want to or stopped recording their rides.

Being a new rider I'm sure a large portion of why I want to record my rides is purely to capture fun times, not in an attempt to create a youtube channel etc. I try and rationalise my insatiable desire for shiny new toys like a Gopro by bringing in justifications like 'capturing any potential incidents to prove right and wrong' or 'to analyse and improve my riding'.

These may be relevant justifications to dropping some cash, and if so, maybe a cheaper camera is the go.

Or, if the $100 cameras are not shite maybe I just get one for shits and giggles anyway.

Nicholai_ChevNicholai_Chev the way you use your camera is probably closest to what I think I'd do. Have it there just in case, but also to capture some of the crazy crap that happens every now and then. The internal mic sounds like a plan as I've heard wind noise is a bit of a downer.

9. Just buy a drift.
    It has everything in the box: multiple mounts, remote, screen, waterproof, aerodynamic and good battery life.
    Peter Stevens normally have them for $200 bucks or something.

10. way to many , more than 0 is still to many

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. An internal mic makes all the difference.
    No longer do you get constant windnoise but rather the sound of the engine and voice easily heard, I find it good for calling out numberplates.

12. Looks like I'm going to get my hands on a SJ4000 for free. My brother isn't a fan of the wind noise and is upgrading.

It has no external mic, but a number of pretty good videos on the net showing how to install one. The method looks pretty simple if you know your way around a soldering iron. I might give it a shot in a couple weeks when I get time.

13. The SJ4000 is good, that one is my gopro clone.
    I have found that it whistles if you mount it on the helmet.

14. what tune?

15. The high pitch kind that makes you suicidal after the first 400km...

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Ahh a Guy Sebastian song then

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  17. I would agree with you on that one, personal use to look back on things and such,

18. I ended up picking up a as20 Sony action cam for cheap and put the sj4000 away as it wasn't up to par in my opinion. I was just getting way too much vibration to watch it. The as20 is brilliant, has a better profile for placing onto a helmet, can have an external mic attached and best of all has a sweet built in anti-shake feature that works a treat.

19. Just for chrissake try not to be boring, that's the best advice I can give ya.

20. Hey Loz, slightly off-topic for a minute, what about you (Gizmag) doing some comparison tests, like the Triumph Bonneville back to back with the Kawasaki W800 in the one test?????