Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

To The F**king Dirty C**t Who Stole the Hairpin Sign

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by Stueh, May 11, 2009.

1. When I find you, I will kill you. For a long time now, I will be walking around with a spork in my pocket ready to stab you in the eye. fcuking dumbass ****. What the fcuk is wrong with you, you could have killed somebody?

So I was riding along Main Rd, near Flagstaff Hills last night, and a while after the intersection of Main Rd and Black Rd, before I entered a bend I noticed a sign pole with no sign on it. Didn't think much of it at the time. It didn't really register, until I got near the bend saw some lights shining up the hill from off the edge of the road ahead of me and IT TURNED INTO A fcukING HAIRPIN. Luckily, it was a left hand turn, and no one was coming the other way, so I was able to lean her right over and ease out to the far right hand edge of the road and not lowside, although I thought I would.

Not so lucky for the people in the car which entered before me though. They had gone through the bend at about 60 and went straight off the hairpin down the embankment backwards. The couple were mostly okay, the bloke driving hurt his neck and slammed his knee into the steering wheel, and the woman had wacked her head on the window, but just bruises and a couple of cuts.

So, some dumbarse **** had stolen the fcuking warning sign which says there's a hairpin there. The copper said that it should be a 15kph corner because of that hairpin. So, to the low life bastard who stole that fcuking sign and nearly killed me, two other people, and anyone else who doesn't know that road, you're a fcuking dick and I hope you get what's coming to you. If I ever find you, after stabbing you in the eye with a fork, I will then put you in a car, rig it to drive you off the bank / cliff and see how you fcuking like it. ****.

Yes. I'm still fuming about it.

P.S. Old Norton Summit Rd. was recently changed to a 60 zone from 80. Amongst a tyrade of local protest, ALL the new 60 signs have gone missing twice now. This is acceptable. Thank you to whoever has done this.

2. thats fkn shthouse man, you'd be convinced people dont think anymore, when the safety of others comes a poor 2nd to a traffic sign trophy.
  3. This confirms my theory that the world becomes a more dangerous place the more we install "safety" warnings. What do people do on country roads that have *no* advisory signs at all? How come they don't turn into instant fireballs the first time a sharp corner comes up? How about retards that will trip over a 5mm high power cable if it's not signed with 3 seperate signs and taped down?

I think we get rid of all the dont-worry-about-opening-your-eyes signs, and maybe over time, people won't instantly FAIL the moment there is a crack in the concrete, a sharp corner, or a head high girder in plain sight. Or at least the oblivious ones will die off.

I can appreciate your situation though Stueh, it's too easy to become complacent when you've been able to relinquish your own judgement for the last 100km and then all of a sudden you need it.
  4. WTF? If you cannot tell what the road is doing by looking at it then perhaps there is an issue. An issue with the rider/driver - not who ever stole the sign.
  5. so what there was no sign? weren't you looking at the turn, sure signs help but surely you still use your own reading of the road/conditions to sum up a corner before you enter it? :shock:
  6. +11tybillion

im constantly amazed driving down a straight stretch of road that there is a sign ever 20cm. its just more stuff to crash into
  7. I find if I drive/ride a road with signs, I drive to the signs. If there are no signs, I drive to the road. I know it's the wrong thing to do (use the signs) but I've found they consistently underestimate the speed. Except in Tassie. When they say 15kmh, they mean it. That was a surprise.... :oops:

The other thing about Tassie was the general absence of signs and how because they weren't there in the same number as on the mainland, you actually rode much better, having to use your eyes for the purpose they were meant.
  8. ahh brings back memories of growing up in the country.

nighttime driving is always a killer.

just wait till you get to a piece of road where the reflective posts that mark the edge of the road were knocked out decades ago, then throw in wild animals and you realise why the country road toll is bad.
  9. The bit of road that Stueh's talking about is in the Adelaide Hills, and things can get pretty tight there. There's a couple of hairpins on Main Road that are only a couple of hundred metres from one another and can be a bugger in the best of conditions.

When you find him Stueh, I'll hold him down for ya. :evil:
  10. Having just been on an unscheduled country ride after dark I was reminded how hard it can be to anticipate and judge corners when there are no street lights. You can't look ahead of you through the corner because your headlights are still shooting straight ahead. Add cars coming the other way and you have little hope of picking the lane marking reflectors out of the glare of headlights. Makes cornering very interesting.

If you can't see around a corner you've never ridden/driven before, the advisory signs are there to give you an idea of what you're in for. What else have you got to go by?
  11. Your supposed to go at a speed appropriate for the conditions. If you can't see where the road goes, it'd be best to slow down. I know it's a fatuous answer, but what else do you suggest?

In one case, we complain bitterly about the nanny state. We don't want to be wrapped in cotton wool, we constantly complain about the interfering do-gooders who know what's best for us and we bemoan the lack of common sense. Yet, when those same do-gooders are absent, when they don't wrap us in nice warm safety wool, we complain about how they are failing us. We look to blame someone, anyone, as long as it isn't us.
  12. thank you cejay, completely agree....

Here we all harp on about riding to the conditions if you can't see/don't know where the roads goes you can slow down, or would you rather they drop the limit to 40km all the time so that when you are riding this section of road at night it won't mean you will have to slow down :roll:
  13. Worst I've seen is those black and yellow arrows that are placed along a bend to show you that... um... there's a bend.

Anyway, some f***er had turned them around so they were pointing right on a left hand bend. In the dark I almost fell for it until my brain kicked in and said "duh... the road goes that way, ignore the signs"

Sincerely hope no one got caught out by it.
  14. I guess it's a matter of consistency.

If there's a cultural expectation for the signs to warn of road conditions, the signs need to be there. If we had no signs at all, then the onus would well and truly be on the driver.

I'm not completely anti-sign; I think carefully-considered application where road conditions are locally "outside the norm" is warranted. For example, between Jamberoo and Albion Park there are gently rolling hills and sweeping corners which lull you into a good flowing rhythm. Only to crest one particular hill and, while the road is still falling away from you, have to turn hard '35kph' left immediately. Even with the 35kph sign, its presence immediately after the crest is unexpected and doesn't fit in with the "flow" of that road.
  15. wow, this just amazes me that so many people here need a sign to help them round a turn :? maybe the art of reading roads and road conditions are gone and people can't decide what is a safe speed, at least now see how why they are lowering the posted limit and i must say i am starting to think it's a good idea :shock:
  16. I can read roads just fine, thanks. ;)

Nah, fcuk it, you're right. On a road where every other hillcrest is followed by a straight, every other corner can safely be taken at 80kph or perhaps even faster, the one hillcrest immediately followed by a tight lefthand bend - with no visual references in the treeline, armco or the road up ahead to suggest the severity of the turn - should be left unindicated.
  17. *Even if* it's a road you know, you shouldnt be flying over crests regardless captain genius, lest there be a slow./parked/broken down vehicle, or a tree down.

You want to ignore common sense, AND complain about missing signs? That's just having your cake and eating it. If you throw risk management out the window, you can hardly complain about the risks?
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  18. Yes.

Actually no, I wasn't complaining about missing signs. Just discussing whether signs should be totally abandoned, totally marked, or only marked where there's a SURPRISE!!!1 situation.

I'm sure you slow down to 40kph over every hillcrest you encounter, too. ;)
    Edit: And take every twisty mountain road at 40kph, in case there's a fallen tree or car at the end of a corner.
  19. sorry to me it still says if you can't handle whatever is on the other side of the crest then you picked the wrong speed for that place/area and yes it's has happened to me where it was signed but didn't ever see it, on a rising crest followed by a tight uphill left hander.....there was a thread about it, where a fellow nr came down and my flatmate also couldn't make the turn, and i was right on the limit (for my ability to make the turn), was i going to quick? yes, why was i going to quick? because i had assume where the road went and not read road/corner for what it is.... i learnt a lot from that day and generally i consider that i ride well within my limits so when shit does hit the fan i have a safety buff to use as per the case above.....and it did save my ass

Anyway guess we will agree to disagree :)
  20. Yeah; Look, ultimately I agree with you stewy and Liquidity, as an ideal to follow.

We should slow down for every crest and blind corner "just in case".

When there's nothing to "read" for hints, we should be slowing down.

Hell, even reading the treeline/etc for clues can be unreliable because the road does something different to the treeline or road up ahead.

But it's easy to get caught up in a rhythm, or operate based on assumptions from the "flow" of the road so far, and I would be surprised if any motorcyclist or sportscar owner could honestly say they always slow down to a truly safe speed for crests or blind corners on twisty roads.