Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

To Ride or not to Ride

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by JCL, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Hi Guys,

Just wanted to get your thoughts on me taking a particular ride this weekend.

I have been riding for a month, mainly on weekends around the city area, ridden at night through the city also and took my first ride to work this morning.

My friend just had a baby and I wanted to go visit her on the bike. She lives in St Andrews in Vic (for all those that dont know where that is, it is North East about an hour out of Melbourne).

Im just after advise on whether you guys think I should ride out there on my level of experience. I feel fully confident in my own riding skill (for a learner) and feel I could ride there without issue but I am very much trying to take my time with things so want to get your thoughts.

The roads out there include 100kmh speed limits, sweeping bends and at the start freeway riding.

What do ya think?
  2. Go for it. But be fresh, have water on hand. I'd also be leaving on dawn to avoid all traffic.
  3. If you think you can, then go for it. People can't decide this or give a reason why you should or shouldn't. Everyones skill levels differ, as where one person would another wouldn't, it all comes down to if you are comfortable with it.
  4. You CAN do it, it's just up to you how easy you need to take it.
  5. If you had of been nervous then I would have said no. Being a learner myself I found that when I was starting out I would be extra careful when I took new roads and know who and what was around me.

Make sure you regularly check your mirrors and head check and you should be fine. Also don't push the limits until you know you have enough grip in the tyres and control on the bike. Maybe leave this for another few months.

Seeing as your confident and are excited to be traveling this route I would have no worries in going, also the adrenalin in your first long trip always helps keeping alert.

Happy riding ! :)
  6. From what you wrote I think u'll do fine.

From my experience on my first day on the bike (on the road) I rode to work. From Bundoora to Oakleigh (about 30km in Saturday traffic). When I started my commuting I only had 15min on the bike in the car park.

Just be careful on whats going on around you and you should be fine..

Take it easy.....
  7. Riding to St Andrews should be fine, however, dont then attempt to go to Kinglake. That road is quite hairy and should only be attempted when you have lots more experience.
  8. I find that if I need to actually ask myself whether to either take the car or to take the bike to any particular destination.........I take the car everytime.
  9. you sound pretty confident and i think that this ride will only enhance your experience a trust of the bike.

but as said above, make sure you have some water, tires up to pressure and a full tank of fuel.

be sure to leave extra early so that you have plenty of time to go at your own pace and dont rush to make a deadline.

besides that, enjoy the ride!
  10. Water, Pffftttt, its like a 309 minute ride from my place. Should take oyu no longer that 60 minutes tops. You would only need to take water if it were an absoulte stinking day.

It is aq good ride through eltham, warrandyte, Kangaroo Ground.

Have fun, enjoy yourself, ride at your own pace and be safe.

I have actually just gotten back from a ride;

Box Hill, Eltham, Kangaroo Ground, Yarra Glen, Healesville, Narbethong (roadhouse), Healevsille, Yarra Glen, Kangaroo Ground, St Andrews, Kinglake, St Andrews, Kangaroo Ground, Warrandyte, Box Hill.

Fantastic day for a ride.
  11. :WStupid:
    its a lovely ride out that way. go for it.
  12. you'll be fine, dont worry.

take your time, think, and be safe.

13. i think if you need to ask strangers here, whether you are capable you really need to seriously consider it. You will know when you are ready

cheers stewy :)