Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

To play or not to play, that is the question!

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Master Shake, Feb 1, 2009.

1. So im currently in the process of selling my 2001 Honda VTR 250, and within one day of listing it I received an email from "field steve" [sic] inquiring about the present condition and availability. After inviting him to come around for an inspection/test ride this is the email I received in response:

Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 18:34:53 +0100
    Subject: Re: ** SALES OPPORTUNITY from www.bikesales.com.au **

"Thanks for the email and happy new year. I will like to do an upright payment by paying with my paypal account which is the safest online payment mode.so please do reply me asap with your paypal account or send me a payment request from your paypal account so i can effect payment to you rightaway. You can easily open an account with paypal if you don't have one at www.paypal.com.au its safe,simple and reliable also do get back to me so we can arrange for pick up as i will like the item to be picked by my pick up agent due to the fact that i am out of the country now on job duties,so no shipping included I await your reply.

Hope to hear from you soon.

field steve"

So as you can see he's playing out the age old "im out of the country" gig which so many one dimension scammers seem to utilise. I assume that whatever "upright" (ha) paypal payment will never arrive when his pick up agent comes by.

Anyway, what's the best course of action here? Is it worth trying to catch him out or should I just cease correspondance? I'm a bit surprised it only took 1 day before this happened.

Cheers for your help
  2. Thieving bastards. Report and forget.
  3. lol i never even opened the ones that said sales oppertunity
  4. X2
  5. Can someone enlighten the naive - what exactly is the scam? I mean don't give the bike till you have the funds in your account?
  6. Paypal is dodgy as hell six ways from Sunday. The scammers can drag the cash back out of your account unless you move it, have Paypal freeze your account and take months to sort it, etc. They can also 'overpay' you and ask you to give them cash back, then stop payment, and so on.

If you want to play, play, but create a whole set of new throwaway accounts, including email, as a firewalled sandbox - don't poop where you eat.
  7. Recently sold my bike too, got the same offer as you and they even offered to pay $500 more than i was asking, decided not to go there after a few emails, too many possible issues.

Dont go there! If it sounds to good to be true it is!
  8. Cash or no bike.
  9. I've currently got my bike listed on 2 sites and have been targeted by 2 marine engineers who happened to be off the coast of QLD working and both had the same content, willing to pay right now for it.

I'm sorry but who buys a bike or car without even asking the standard questions about it?
  10. yeah you would think that if people were scamming for a living they would be a bit more savvy about the small things in order to create a veil of legitimacy but most of them come across as simpletons. then again, I suppose the sort of person who is attracted to this sort of behaviour probably isnt a nobel laureate candidate
  11. Im sure some fo these scams take more time and effort then actually working for a living. Proves the scammers are stupid.
  12. Field Steve?

Lol, there has gotta be a way to trace these bastards and do something about it.
  13. theres been a few of these topics on NR, even on the news today, john laws got done so i think they will go full force to catch the crims now to stop this shit, ring your local cop shop and explain to them whats going on, if they take it up, great, if not, delete email and be done with it..
  14. Pay your ten bucks to become a member, and advertise it here. At least if you have a problem with another Netrider you can get Vic to go round and breath Greek food breath all over him :LOL:.
  15. ewwwww tzatziki breath :shock:
  16. HAHA i got the exact same email a few days ago.......
    Fail for anybody that believes it
  17. Send him an e-mail giving a time and place he can collect the bike tomorrow. Also explain that you don't have paypal yet but will set it up in the next few days and let him know when it's ready so he can pay you later.

Then, when the guy comes to collect the bike you can smack the living shit out of him with a steel handled hammer. :)
  18. dont play!

Ill buy the bike as soon as my ridiculously overmodified supra sells!
    how much you want for it? Im on the North shore too.
    Send me a PM with pics and and price mang.
    Payment by Italian credit card (folding cash)

Problem solved.

PS Aqua teen hunger force rocks. Much love Master Shake.
  19. My friend was selling modded iPHONES before they were sold here, and he is dodgy as they come.

But he sold one to someone who paid via Paypal, didnt check properly but met the guy and gave him the iPhone.

Next day he finds out the account that paid him had been hacked and the money is frozen. He ends up loosing out.

Lesson learnt, dont take paypal or wait till the money is in your actual account