Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

To keep or not to keep - Dillema

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by tubbsy, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Hi All

New to Aussie 4 months ago from NZ. Being me I HAD to have a bike asap, bought one of e-bay, and realised I'm not a sport bike person. :nopity:
    It's a Suzuki RF600R. It goes like the clappers, has green slip, rego till March next year etc, but the problem is, apparently it runs rich. Had the carbs flushed because it wouldn't start and a few other bits and bobs done, however, if it sits for more than a few days, carbs flood again and I can't start it.

When it goes it's great, but what I know about bike mechanics will fit in a gnats ear with space left over. Spent $2.8k on buying the bike, another $900 on Green slip and rego, then another $600 on carb flush, bearings change and a few other bits and bobs, and now it's flooded again. I don't know how to fix it, and have realised I don't actually want a sports bike, so my question (finally) is this, shall i bung it in the classifieds section, or shall I spend more on getting it fixed?
    What will need to be done to it to make it a reliable bike, does anyone know? Having spent good money on it, I will def make a loss, but.....if I don't want a sport bike, is it worth hanging onto it? Arrrrrgh!!!! ](*,) Can't decide.

Some objective views may help. Cheers
  2. take it back to where u got a fixed and tell them in aint fixed :)
  3. gallon of petrol and a match
  4. now Paul, thats not very helpful :D
  5. Thing is, they did actually get it going, and it went for a few days. It was Lloyd Penn motorcycles. He was pretty good.

Sigh....have to say.....the petrol and match sounds quite good. Wanna get something sorted before summer so I can head out on rides.
  6. If you've got it right and the carbs are flooding, there's something wrong with the needles/seats and/or with the fuel tap. Its not rocket science, take it back to whoever 'fixed' it and tell them it ain't.
  7. Just going off what the original mechanic said. Also, had an nrma guy round and he had it turning over for about 20 minutes on an external battery, and it didn't fire once. Made a few noises like it threatened to start.....but then didn't.[-(
    He removed the plugs and they were drowning in petrol, so not reeeeally sure what that means, just trying to sound like I know anything about bikes.
    Does that sound like flooded carbs? Anyone....anyone...Bueller....Bueller?
  8. start at the top and work down. Fuel Tap. get a glass jar and put the outlet hose from the fuel tap into it, and see if it actually turns off or not.

The mole has the answer.
  9. Hehe... I have no idea about bikes either so won't comment but I do want to ask what you're thinking of getting instead of this bike? What don't you like about sportsbikes?
    And did you get a biker mate to check it over before you bought it?
  10. uh...no, I rushed into it as I normally do. E-bay auction said "well maintained", the guy who sold it to me def lied. Grrrrrrrr.

I'd be looking at a cruiser otherwise, the leaning forward doesn't work for me.
  11. Interestingly, the guy who sold it to me said (after many e-mails back and forth) that there 'May' be an issue with the tap, mustve known when he sold it to me. So the tap could be leaking continuous fuel into it and flooding it?
  12. What a douche.
    Bet he was happy with a sale to an unsuspecting buyer...bet you won't make that mistake again.
  13. Definitely not, I have learned an expensive lesson. I'll go off my nut at the dude if I ever see him again.
  14. Ok, this should be an easy fix, there isn't much to a carb really.

First, if the fuel tap isn't cutting off the fuel the float bowl in the carb will rise until the needle that allows the fuel through seats and cuts the fuel flow. There is no reason you need to turn the fuel tap off if this is doing its job properly. If the needle isn't seating properly then (dirt in the seat or a float that isn't "floating") the float bowl will fill with fuel and it should run out of an overflow which normal comes out the bottom of the float bowl, basically the tank will slowly empty itself out on the garage floor.

This will not cause the bike to run rich or stop it from starting it'll just cause a mess.

If the plugs are wet and covered in fuel then the there is a problem with the mixture (fuel to air ratio) or the choke is stuck open and it isn't needed. If it ran for a few days after a clean (and at $600 it should run forever!!!!) then the most likely cause is crap in the fuel that is blocking the jets and stuffing up the air/fuel ratio. Does the fuel line have a fuel filter on it? There maybe one in the fuel tap or there may be an additional external one in the fuel line. If you cant find one cut the fuel line before the carbs and put a filter in, unfortunately the carbs will need another clean.

You can take them off and clean them yourself but if you're not sure get them cleaned properly, dont let them just run some carb cleaner through them. Get them taken apart and flushed out, maybe take the tank off and flush that out as well.

Other things to check, is the bike running pod filters or something like that, is the airfilter clean, replace it as if its blocked it'll run rich, has the bike been modded? maybe the jets have been replaced and are the wrong size etc.

Anyway, after all that I'd start by changing the air filter, drain the carbs, replace the plugs and put an inline fuel filter in (maybe drain the tank and flush as well) and see how that goes.

15. And a fuel tap fix is even easier!! Fix it, sell it and buy a bike that's more comfortable. I suggest a VFR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  16. Except a fuel tap wont cause the bike to run rich and not start, which is basically what I was trying to say in explaining how it all worked. After all who even turns the fuel tap off when they park the bike?

17. A fuel tap that doesn't automatically shut off and is defective will continue to flood petrol into the carburettors and thus to the combustion chambers, thus flooding the motor. I don't know if the RF one is auto or not, but, if it is, then that could be the problem, and if it's NOT, then it SHOULD be turned off when you stop the bike. That's why it's there. Given that the OP said the previous owner had flagged a potential "issue" with the fuel tap, I'd have thought that would be the first place to look. ](*,)](*,)
  18. Excellent advice, thank you for taking the time to write all that, even if I'm not sure what a lot of it means.

19. Previous owner only alluded to the tap briefly after the bike had left me stranded 100km from home 2 days after i bought it and I had to get it towed and I had harsh words with him.
  20. The float needles should stop the fuel flooding into the float bowls and flooding the carbs, a fuel tap will flow a lot more fuel than a carb will use at idle and this is how the carbs stop the flow of fuel, you don't have to turn the tap off every time you stop at the lights to stop the carbs flooding. Sure you could replace the fuel tap but I seriously doubt this is going to stop the carbs flooding, if the tap is stuffed AND the carbs float needle isn't seating properly then you have a problem.

Should add this is my experience with carbs and most of them have been on older bikes :)

Easy test, pull the fuel line from the fuel tap with the fuel turned off (if it's not automatic) and see if fuel still flows from the tap.