Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

To fix or not to fix?...

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Le Riding Frog, May 25, 2016.

1. Hi everybody,

I just had a quick question or more a "what do you guys think?" type thingy. A little while ago, out of an overzealous newbie rider evasive action (from a car flying down the ramp of an exit car park) I "may" have dropped my precious lady on her side. No real damage was done on any parties concerned (though I briefly contemplated adding a few scratches to the face of the driver....). The only little issue is that I have slightly bent my gear lever. It is all working fine and not catching, and really not bent too badly either... but I am wondering if I should get it sorted.
    I have read a few different threads around about bending back the lever vs changing it. I don't really want to tinker on it myself yet and she is due for her 1000km health check. So the question is should I ask them to fix it and from your experience how much are they likely to "extract" from me. The shifter lever shouldn't be too expensive if they say they have to replace it but...

Or maybe I should wait until I'm ready to go for my Ps and change it just before to make sure the lady is all fine, not that I intend to let her go for another snooze but one never knows...

Sorry for the rambling, I can't make my mind up!
  2. Pics would help.

But if it's not detrimental to changing gears or getting your foot caught etc just leave it and don't stress.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  3. Need to be a little careful bending things back into shape as they can break due to the repeated stress. If it bent and didn't break in the first place, then that would suggest that it's reasonably malleable so you're probably alright to bend it back, but personally I would wait until you get it to the mechanic for it's scheduled service and then if it does break, no drama they can fix it. If it doesn't, then it's one less thing to fix and you can save a bit of coin.

Alternatively duck into the local bike wreckers and get a second hand one. There are plenty of these on the road, and being a popular bike with learners there's likely to be a few getting trashed. They're usually not hard to swap out as they're designed to be adjustable by taking them off the splined shaft, turning it round to taste and putting it back on. Usually just a screw/bolt to loosen off and retighten.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Been there, done that except I did it to the brake pedal. The mechanic should sort it at the service.
  5. It's alloy so it can bend once, the bend back is likely to break it. LionzLionz mentioned the use of a gas torch to heat it up before the bend back, I'd say he's on the money with that. Spare pedals are cheap from a wrecker - I got one for the cb400 including the gear arm, for $60 free postage. It's in new condition, the bike it came from must have front ended or gone down on the other side. Or done anything except fall on the gear pedal side I guess. Anyway, it's reasonably simple to replace if you can't bend it back or aren't comfortable doing so, and it's never a bad idea to have a spare pedal anyway...
    • Like Like x 1
  6. new is $80ish
    (same part number in the US is $11 from TYGA )

$55 on ebay with other bits, but if it looks like this (flat plate basically) should be easy to bend back at service (not all alloys bend nicely, even with heat :p but flat part like that, very likely it will be fine)
    • Like Like x 2
  7. When you put the bike in for a service, just ask the mechanic politely, if they can straighten it.
    If it's not too badly bent, or causing you problems changing gears, i'd just leave it.
    Chances that a little lay down happening again before you graduate to a full licence, is fairly probable.

If you do decide to straighten it. Remove it from the bike and put it in a vice, use a big 'shifter' to clamp onto it and give you some leverage, bit of heat might help, but just do a little bit at a time.
    Learning some basic mechanic skills, regarding your own bike, will inspire confidence and satisfaction, and provide a holistic motorcycling journey.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Thanks for your answers! It's really helped.
    Sorry jonnymac I meant to add a picture with it but my scatter brain forgot... And I was *ahem* at work o_O
    I've added one here, as you can see it's not too badly bent and it has not been any issue whatsoever on gear change, it's more in aesthetics...

I completely agree dobbo that despite my wish of not happening there is always the chance that she might want a snooze again, that's what happens for a poor little bike that comes to a home with two newbies... I fully intend to do future mechanics on the bikes, the main reason for not tinkering on it is just that she is brand new and my first bike (read: "I'm a wuss") so I am waiting for my hubby's VTR250 to arrive this Friday to start :angelic: and we need to get some gears to do a proper job (stand etc...).

After considering everything you all said, I am thinking to let it go for now but still acquire a few spare parts "just in case" from wreckers/websites (thanks for those links oldcorollas) and when I am ready, i.e. I am not allowed anymore to touch the VTR..., I'll have a play.

Attached Files:

9. I think you've answered your own question - just replace it and move on.
  10. get cheap new one from US, keep old one as spare for next time :)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. That appears to be steel from the photo you provided. Should be easy enough to remove and bend back straight without much risk.
  12. Looking at that photo it's only so slightly bent it would take nothing to bend it back. I'd do it in a heartbeat it won't break.
    • Agree Agree x 1