Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

To do riding classes or not to do riding classes?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Macca1983, May 27, 2011.

1. Hey all
    Ive seen a few riding classes advertised and was wondering if anyone can comment as to if they have done any if they thought it was worthwhile or not?

2. I've done HART classes in Victoria. Learnt a lot from them. The quickest way to improve your riding and sort out your flaws.
  3. I recently did an advanced course through Stay Upright - not only do you learn a lot and gain knowledge of techniques to practice afterwards but it is an all round fun day out.

It took me 3-4 years to do another course after my L/P's but I will def be doing at least one course a year from now on.

Choosing the type of course and supplier is the hard bit - from reviews I heard that intermediate was not much more than your L/P's course so went for advanced - in the end it was a good choice but from what I saw of the intermediate course would still consider it more than worthwhile even if just to correct any bad habits you may be developing early on.

Whatever course you decide on; at best you'll learn some truly valuable skills, at worst you'll have a great day out.
  4. Yeah, I did the Stay Upright Intermediate a few months ago at Eastern Creek.
    If you've been off the bike for a (really) long time or you're new to it all it's a good day.
    To be honest though, I found that it was the same content that was taught as the Pre-Learners back in the 90's.
    Counter steering etc which, according to the Instructor, is not taught anymore. :-s

If you do ANY course at ANY track, put aside a couple of thousand dollars because you'll be riding home wanting a track bike.

As said already, you will learn something and at worse you'll have a good day.
  5. I've done one at Sixty Degrees - more than worth it -

My advice is do it!
  6. Do it. Even if it just confirms what you already know. At least you have the basics right to build on.
    Even pro golfers ... and riders for that matter, have to go back to a coach.
  7. I think you should give it alittle while and just after you get your P's go do one.
    We had one guy on his L's at our Stay up right intermediate course and he crashed ,you go to get the hang of riding ,then do the courses to brush up on your basic skills and learn more.

I give you a huge thumbs up ...for asking about getting more lessons and wanting to improve your riding ,then this being your 5th posts and asking about what pipe to fit to your 250cc and make it sound cool.
    Shoot me a PM if you want to go for a ride ,im in the Gong.
  8. If you have the chance and can afford it, do them. Some would say you can't afford not to them...

I just wish I lived closer to where these coarses are held. A 2.5+ hour ride to get there (Winton or Wakefield), and the same home again is a bit much. Add in overnight accomadation and it becomes excessively expensive....

Although someone mentioned that DECA have a facility in Wodonga, does anyone here have any details?
  9. well finally got my bike and spent most of the day on it today. Suprised at how well I thought I did, but there are plenty of things I need to work on. I think I'll leave it a few months and get the basics nailed and then really look at what courses are out there. Cheers all!
  10. The only thing i know is:

I can't ride worth a damn and there is an abyss worth of things I don't know.

When you reach this stage, you're on your way to being a good rider ;) :D
  11. Do the course now. You'll be a better rider immediately.

I've done a couple of practice sessions, intermediate and advanced I at HART and each time I rode away from HART I was a better rider.

Doing the Advance II in a few months and then some course ever year.
  12. Ain't that the truth! =D>
  13. Any and every riding course is worthwhile. Go for it.

What you spend on the bike goes when the bike is sold. What you spend on you stays forever. I see it as an investment in your safety.
  14. Don't forget to keep practicing what they teach you. 40 years on and I still go back to basics. You have to find a way to make it fun or competitive.
    Braking is a great one to keep training. Even fig 8's. How dorky does it look when some kook does a U turn with his feet out or down. If you can nail fig 8's, then you can U turn in 5m or any road.
    We all pick up bad habits along the way. Sometimes it takes someone to spot them.
  15. Amen to that. We are all so precious about hurting our road bikes, aren't we?
  16. Safety is indeed very important, I believe it's what motorcycling is all about.
  17. How can you possibly think that? It is inherrantly dangerous. If you stuff up, you risk becoming a thin red smear on the pavement very quickly.

I'm at a loss when you people describe motorcycling as safe.
  18. Do it, its easier to learn good habbits than undo bad ones.