Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

to carb or not to carb that is the question...

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by timbo79, Jan 7, 2008.

1. hey everyone would there be any reason to recommend a f.i bike over a carbed one?? are there any real advantages to have fuel injection...i am concidering the zrx 1200r as my next ride or a bandit.....

2. Yes, but it wouldn't be the only factor influencing my choice of bike.

Generally fuel economy, rideability from stone cold and engine life will all be better with FI.

FI systems that haven't been mucked about also seem to have a reliability advantage due to fewer moving parts and fewer weeny drillings to get blocked by wandering lumps of crud.
  3. True in the most part, but on the other hand a fuel injection system
    can run rough and be difficult or expensive to tune to an aftermarket
    exhaust, can have a sudden transition from off-throttle to on-throttle
    that makes the ride jerky, and is not guaranteed reliable either due to
    things like fuel pump failure...

I wouldn't worry about it. Just get the bike you like and that rides nice.
  4. Also true, although anyone who's spent months farting around with (sometimes very expensive) jets to dial in carbs to a pipe and pod filters would argue that the difference is moot.

And no man made contrivance is guaranteed reliable :grin: .

Like I said, it wouldn't be the only influence or, indeed, the major influence in my choice of bike. It doesn't scare me like it did 20 years ago though.
  5. FI systems still aren't as sorted on bikes as they are on cars. Though Jap i4 are pretty much sorted.

You still here the odd comment about twins and European bikes oddities, but they are niggling I imagine and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new FI bike of any configuration.

A ten year old Guzzi FI for example might cause some problems.

High k carbs need love and attention. fuel economy should be a bit better on FI.

Swings ands round-a-bouts. Get the bike that feels good to ride.
  6. i personally prefer carby becuase if something fcuks up on it there is a much better chance of me being able to fix it myself.
    cold start has never been a problem with any bike i ride (except for the XR if you leave it sitting for a couple of weeks) and engine logevity would be more based around engine design than fuel delivery.
  7. Timbo, EFI would not make or break a sale for me.
    The carbs on the RF900R were at least as good as the Bandit FI.
    Ecomomy is slightly better now (bigger mill too) cold starting is easy, throttle response is instant and low speed fuelling is spot on but in general riding the carb setup was no worse.

Also with carbs you have reserve fuel in the tank.
  8. Used to be my view too, but I've lived with FI for quite a while now with far fewer problems than I've had with carbs, bike and car, so I've relaxed a bit. Carbs I can fix. FI systems I don't have to (touch wood). Given the time and resources, I'm even tempted to start playing with a Megasquirt DIY system. That's quite a turnaround for a old luddite like me :grin: .

I'm not so much thinking of the start itself as the first few minutes of riding until the motor warms up. Carbies tend not to work too well when cold and I've always found carbed vehicles to be fluffy and temperamental for the first few km. Not too much of a problem on the open road but a pain if your commute goes straight into heavy traffic.

Carb setups will tend to be designed to err on the rich side when delivering an incorrect mixture (which is most of the time no matter how many correctors or compensators they might have :grin: ). All that extra fuel has a negative effect on bore and valve stem lubrication and a proportion of it ends up in your sump, degrading your oil.

The effect is small, but over a few thousand cold starts or a hundred thousand kilometers of mixed use it is measurable.

FI systems, the modern, closed loop types anyway, chuck a lot less excess fuel through your engine.

Ultimately though, as I and others have said, it shouldn't be a deal breaker. There are plenty of both carbed and FI bikes I'd like sitting in my shed. Most of the really droolworthy ones would be unreliable, vicious, temperamental b*stards anyway. They're more fun when they do work :grin: .
  9. Thanks everyone :grin: for your input on this topic it has been helpful...like everyone says it wont make or break the deal just because its is not fuel injected it just depends on how the bike feels and if it is the bike for you.....so i will continue my search until i find that elusive "one" it would be easier if i could ride the bandit....so long and safe riding