Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

To Buy - Suzuki GS500 - uneven sparkplug wear

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by nalkur, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Hello all. First post and all that. Just got my L's and am looking at a first bike. After much searching, etc I have come across a 2005 Suzuki GS500 with 4,500km on the clock (if you can believe it as the chain seems to be more flexible, sideways, than I would expect).

Had a look last night and it is running a little rough. Pulled the sparkplugs out and one was dark whilst the other white. Why would they be different? Does this indicate an underlying problem that I should perhaps avoid? Potentially it could have had "uneven sparkplugs" for a while.

2. Welcome!

One (spark plug) could be buggered, carbs might need cleaning/balancing/rejetting. White would indicate lean, blocked jet, dirty carbs, etc.

None of that would put me off with those kms do you have a workshop you can take it too?

A leakdown test will tell if there's any problems with valves, etc, then a clean & balance of the carbs should get you where you need to be. Oh, & replace the sparkplugs.

Chains are easy to kill, check out the overall condition of the bike for more of a picture of whether the k's are genuine, ie rust, scratches, faded panels etc.
  3. Had the guys over at Bikesmith (Blacktown, NSW) go over it. All looks good. We suspect the choke was just working on one cylinder and caused the fouling of the sparkplug.

Now up to around 6 hours riding the new bike and getting skills and confidence every time I go out.:angel: